Best way to bring clients to you when you are starting from scratch

Warrior

Super Genius
Besides referrals, when a person starts from scratch and doesn't have clients, what is the best way to build the book from the very beginning?

What ways work well?

Seriously, get some training. If you're working with a company that is supposed to be providing it QUIT, because there taking half your commissions and it's obvious with that question you're not getting any. Could you provide a lot more details, made me laugh though, thanks for that.

I'm writing a training manual and I want to get some feedback as to how to help my new sales staff on prospecting.

I currently use:
Referrals
Door to Door
Farmers Markets
Business Marketing
Apartment Canvassing
Joining Networking Groups
Bank Loan Officers
Realtors

But I wanted to see if there was anything else out there that I'm not doing. I was trained by the best captured agency. But they threw thousands of dollars towards marketing for each agent. Now that I'm independent, I'm looking at ways that is more affordable and things I can train my new sales staff on that won't cost much.

P&C and Commercial is what I'm training my staff on. My training manual will have each way to prospect and why it works.

That's why I'm asking all of you to get your perspective since I've been doing this as an Independent for a couple years as opposed to those who have been Independent for 10 years or longer. If course referrals are #1. But if my staff is starting from zero, what are some other ways they can prospect? In my agency, I already have the banks and realtors and apartments. My sales staff need other ways. That's why I'm asking you guys.

I'm writing a training manual and I want to get some feedback as to how to help my new sales staff on prospecting.

I currently use:
Referrals
Door to Door
Farmers Markets
Business Marketing
Apartment Canvassing
Joining Networking Groups
Bank Loan Officers
Realtors

But I wanted to see if there was anything else out there that I'm not doing. I was trained by the best captured agency. But they threw thousands of dollars towards marketing for each agent. Now that I'm independent, I'm looking at ways that is more affordable and things I can train my new sales staff on that won't cost much.

P&C and Commercial is what I'm training my staff on. My training manual will have each way to prospect and why it works.

That's why I'm asking all of you to get your perspective since I've been doing this as an Independent for a couple years as opposed to those who have been Independent for 10 years or longer. If course referrals are #1. But if my staff is starting from zero, what are some other ways they can prospect? In my agency, I already have the banks and realtors and apartments. My sales staff need other ways. That's why I'm asking you guys.
You can also use a targeted data list to filter for the type of prospects you're looking for. Call the ones that aren't on the DNC list and cold door knock the rest. It's more effective than going up and down the street knocking on every door, the way I was trained to do in the early 70's.

Do a little bit of door knocking, get some clients. Learn how to properly ask for referrals. Each sale should net you 3 referrals on average - that's what I get. So, you should be door knocking, maybe cold calling for the first few weeks, then you should never have to do it again. That's what I do. If you want more details, pm me, but you should be watching youtube videos and reading books on how to ask for referrals.

That’s how I was trained too, Goillinni52, in 1978, and did so for a long, long time. I’m still grateful for my experience too.

Do a little bit of door knocking, get some clients. Learn how to properly ask for referrals. Each sale should net you 3 referrals on average - that's what I get. So, you should be door knocking, maybe cold calling for the first few weeks, then you should never have to do it again. That's what I do. If you want more details, pm me, but you should be watching youtube videos and reading books on how to ask for referrals.

Yes, I do ask for referrals. What I'm asking for are other ways to market or prospect that are cheep or free.

In my training guide, it seems it's not enough that I currently do to bring in clients. That's why I'm asking everyone what besides referrals do you do when you first began in the industry as an Independent Insurance Agent. From scratch. Instead of asking friends and family, or referrals, how to get your 1st 50 clients.

Yes, I do ask for referrals. What I'm asking for are other ways to market or prospect that are cheep or free.

In my training guide, it seems it's not enough that I currently do to bring in clients. That's why I'm asking everyone what besides referrals do you do when you first began in the industry as an Independent Insurance Agent. From scratch. Instead of asking friends and family, or referrals, how to get your 1st 50 clients.

I'm not sure what you aren't understanding. Knock on doors and cold call, that gets you your first few clients. Then, ask for referrals properly from each sale. Your first sale gets 3 referrals. That turns into 2 sales, 3 referrals from each sale, 6 referrals total. Those 6 referrals become 4 sales, each sale getting you 3 referrals, now 12 referrals total. 12 referrals gets 8 sales, getting now 24 referrals, and so on.

You should have enough coming in from high close rate referrals that you dont have time to chase lower close rate leads from marketing or prospecting. This is what I do, and haven't had to advertise or cold call since. Make sense?

Back