Best Way to Call Direct Mail Leads...

jmarkk1

Guru
100+ Post Club
I'm interested to know what you guys do once you receive direct mail leads from Medicare clients/FE.

Do you guys have better success contacting and setting appointments using someone else to call and set appointments?

Or do you feel calling yourself is best?

Are there any differences in how you approach this based on the age and/or type of lead your mailing?

I.e. T65, 67-75 medicare, FE?

I would definitely recommend calling yourself. Doesn't take much time calling the leads once a day either.
Just let them know you just received a card that they sent in and you see they are going on Medicare on (the month) and you help people that are going onto Medicare for the first time. Letting you know what a and b will cover and what options they have. Sometimes I'll through in "I'm sure you're getting tons of stuff in the mail from insurance companies" and I can help you sort out the mess.

If you're working over 65 I can't help you there. Never had any luck with them
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Shouldnt say through
*throw

Last edited:
The FMO that I work for had helped with DM leads. I've received around 160 since 1/1/12. I'm not sure if these first 3 months of the year are typically bad anyways, but I've had very little success getting ahold of people. Around 70 to 80 of the leads were "not interested" and hung up. Around 60 of them have not answered the phone, and the rest I've sold or they weren't ready to meet (in Florida on vacation, etc.)

I usually have better success, but I haven't had a ton of success these first few months. So, I've contemplated hiring an appointment setter with the idea that they might bring more professionalism to the call. (but I'm not convinced that this is the case...thus the post looking for input)

I'm looking to do my own mailers for T65 Medicare/FE leads.

Are you door-knocking them?

If you're using the bland mailers, if you're selling 20% of the leads, you're doing good.

30% would be excellent.

Lots of them will be garbage -- at least in the present.

-Dave

The FMO that I work for had helped with DM leads. I've received around 160 since 1/1/12. I'm not sure if these first 3 months of the year are typically bad anyways, but I've had very little success getting ahold of people. Around 70 to 80 of the leads were "not interested" and hung up. Around 60 of them have not answered the phone, and the rest I've sold or they weren't ready to meet (in Florida on vacation, etc.)

I usually have better success, but I haven't had a ton of success these first few months. So, I've contemplated hiring an appointment setter with the idea that they might bring more professionalism to the call. (but I'm not convinced that this is the case...thus the post looking for input)

160 leads this year? Are they T65's? I hope not. I've received about 55 T65's this year and have sold about 15. I'm guessing you just got a generic med supp mailer

160 leads this year? Are they T65's? I hope not. I've received about 55 T65's this year and have sold about 15. I'm guessing you just got a generic med supp mailer

Pretty good conversion rate... How, oh how do you do it...? Seriously, how bout a few pointers on your T65 approach here Chazm...?

In my experience there is nothing good or bad about the first three months of the year. They aren't any different than any other three month period.

If they are telling you they "aren't interested" then you are allowing them to say that and in doing so they take control of the call. Once you relinquish control of the call to the prospect you might just as well go on to the next prospect. It will be difficult to regain control.

Hiring an appointment setter will just be a further disappointment to you. It's going to cost you a lot more money and not dramatically increase your rate of success.

Using the phone is a learned, well practiced art that very few have honed to perfection. An appointment setter will end up sending you on a ton of wild goose chases to do nothing more than a Medicare Review. For the most part they will be a waste of your time.

You need to perfect calling. Make the initial call yourself so you can begin building a rapport with your prospect.

Don't ask them questions you don't already know the answer to, know how to transition the call to a conversation. There are specific words you need to use to elicit the response you are looking for. I get all the information I need in the first 60 seconds of the call to determine whether or not I want to continue the call.

Most agents talk way too fast especially in their opening statement. Give the prospect time to put their mind in gear to transition from what they were doing before the phone rang and to listening to what you are saying.

The list goes on and on. There is a huge psychology behind using the phone correctly and successfully.

Back