Best Way to Start in P&C ?

Davis B

Expert
Hi friends,

I am preping for my PC license exam and was looking for some input from Experienced Pros on how to get started in PC. Not sure what the pros and cons are for each and was hoping some pros could chime in and let me know what they think.

1. Get started with a Local General Agent.

• Pros- could get some good training from an experienced company
  • Cons- might be limited on who i can write for
2. Start with Big Boy Retail Shop

• Pros- not sure
  • Cons- from what i heard, you can only sell their plans (allstate, state farm, etc)
3. Start with Business insurance company

• Pros- get training with big co.
  • Cons- from what i heard comm are not that great.
Can anyone tell me if my assumptions and info is incorrect?
Please add to my list if possible.

thanks very much!

Hi friends,

I am preping for my PC license exam and was looking for some input from Experienced Pros on how to get started in PC. Not sure what the pros and cons are for each and was hoping some pros could chime in and let me know what they think.

1. Get started with a Local General Agent.

• Pros- could get some good training from an experienced company
  • Cons- might be limited on who i can write for
2. Start with Big Boy Retail Shop

• Pros- not sure
  • Cons- from what i heard, you can only sell their plans (allstate, state farm, etc)
3. Start with Business insurance company

• Pros- get training with big co.
  • Cons- from what i heard comm are not that great.
Can anyone tell me if my assumptions and info is incorrect?
Please add to my list if possible.

thanks very much!

Any of these is acceptable. It just boils down to this. Where can you get started and get training and make enough money to survive until you understand the business.

Any of these is acceptable. It just boils down to this. Where can you get started and get training and make enough money to survive until you understand the business.

Interesting. I'm looking at the PC route too.

Xrac,...so you are saying the "sales close cycle" will determine where you can fit in. This sounds like you should do a mix of products.

Me thinks that
1. auto
2. homes
...will have shortest and then possibly throw in bigger ticket items.

What do you think X?

Interesting. I'm looking at the PC route too.

Xrac,...so you are saying the "sales close cycle" will determine where you can fit in. This sounds like you should do a mix of products.

Me thinks that
1. auto
2. homes
...will have shortest and then possibly throw in bigger ticket items.

What do you think X?

Auto and home are good products to start with but it really matters where your going to start. Find a place to learn on someone else's dime. Being a producer first is ideal whether it is at a captive insure or a broker it doesn't matter, just make sure they are willing to train and pay. Once you find that, make sure you make it worth that agent or companies time by working hard.

Auto and home are good products to start with but it really matters where your going to start. Find a place to learn on someone else's dime. Being a producer first is ideal whether it is at a captive insure or a broker it doesn't matter, just make sure they are willing to train and pay. Once you find that, make sure you make it worth that agent or companies time by working hard.

What nyc2phi says!...............

Back