Beware Cigna supplements (nationwide agents)

crs6633

Expert
For most agents that are licensed in one or two states this tip will not be relevant. For those licensed in multiple states it will be. I've now been an independent agent for 18 months and came from a call center environment where I was licensed and appointed nationwide. Going independent I've now I'm maintaining most of those licenses and adding carriers as well

Cigna and all of their sub headings (Loyal, CHLIC, ARLIC) will not issue licensing fees in states you're appointed in unless you WRITE policies in those states. Which means if you write an underwritten application in WI, and that policy is declined, you will get no commission and they will charge you a state licensing fee of $50. They will not tell you this. It will sit and accrue interest over time and eventually if it happens enough you'll get notified by your up line, not Cigna. It took me a long time with a lot of phone calls and a lot of people in different departments to discover this information.

You're welcome.

I have never found a reason to get contracted with Cigna.

You just gave me one more reason.

I wouldn't. I also would not, in turn, expect to pay money to the carrier if declined. I

Some carriers will require you to pay appointment fee before you even submit

I don't see any issue with that,

The thing I didn't like from what you said was that they did not contact email or call you about debt and charged interest, Without you knowing there was a debt

The thing I didn't like from what you said was that they did not contact email or call you about debt and charged interest, Without you knowing there was a debt

Yes, there was quite a bit more than that. I called on multiple occasions and was told different amounts every time I called. I made payments which were not accounted for for months. I even wrote a check to them that they received, and could tell me the check number but never cashed it?

I know that carriers have appointment fees and I also can accept that as a cost of business but Cigna is just very disorganized and I'm frustrated with how much time I spent tracking down what amounts to licensing fees I was never aware existed.

Cigna is just very disorganized

They are relatively new to this market. Never offered individual health insurance or small group. They were a "big case" carrier for years going back to the days when they were CG before merging with LINA.

I am not sure they ever will get the hang of dealing with single insured plans.

They are relatively new to this market. Never offered individual health insurance or small group. They were a "big case" carrier for years going back to the days when they were CG before merging with LINA.

I am not sure they ever will get the hang of dealing with single insured plans.
They "absorbed" Med Supp carriers like Continental General, Central Reserve Life, etc. I guess they didn't learn from them. :nah:

They "absorbed" Med Supp carriers like Continental General, Central Reserve Life, etc. I guess they didn't learn from them. :nah:

Do they ever, Gees Aetna underwriting is weeks at times. I cringe when I need to submit with them unless its a rewrite Or an underwriting thing

Back