Biden Repeals Trump Rule Meant To Protect Gig Economy’s ‘Independent Contractor’ Model

I don't get the comment...

Republicans are weird. They don't want the Government to cover costs like unemployment insurance during a pandemic, but they also don't want to protect workers from companies that misclassify them in order to avoid offering them the most basic minimum wage, time and a half, or unemployment costs.

The rule was making it easier for business to be protected and scrapping the rule didn't make it any easier than prior for misclassified employees to get relief under the law.

The party of the working man seem to never give a crap about them.

Republicans are weird. They don't want the Government to cover costs like unemployment insurance during a pandemic, but they also don't want to protect workers from companies that misclassify them in order to avoid offering them the most basic minimum wage, time and a half, or unemployment costs.

The rule was making it easier for business to be protected and scrapping the rule didn't make it any easier than prior for misclassified employees to get relief under the law.

The party of the working man seem to never give a crap about them.

Most hairdresser waiters waitresses, cab drivers, and the like don't want to be employees and can do better with the current system

Have you ever worked those jobs I have

I have also seen where it changes like in some NYC restaurants, tips are no longer there and things aren't better but worse under new structures

All these jobs have their purpose, I have been up and down I have worked fast food taxi and other jobs they worked the way intended

but that is all changing now little here little there

I have no problem with helping people but the way unemployment workes now people don't want to work they make more not working

this is why mcds in some areas are offering bonus just to show up at interviews and some others are doing a lot more robotic automation

In addition, there is a lot more pressure on small business that cant pay more cant compete with larger corporations

when the handouts end they will come back to a new world with fewer jobs

besides that, the cost of living is rising daily

Heck I know someone who has a construction company in NY and when he was able to begin work again he ended up having to pay some off the books because they refused to come back due to the unemployment payments

why work for free is the common mindset

Last edited:
Most hairdresser waiters waitresses, cab drivers, and the like don't want to be employees and can do better with the current system

If you had actually read the article, you'd know that none of this has changed.

1) The rule had not gone into effect yet
2) The rule made it easier for employers to dodge misclassification lawsuits. It didn't make it harder for people to stay independent contractors if they chose to be.

It actually quotes that most independent contractor situations are completely lawful.

"In many cases, workers are legitimately independent from the firms they are performing work for."

Secondly, and I'll tell you from personal experience from over 3000+ Disability applications over 6 years in government work.

The vast majority of people that apply say a variation of the same thing:

"If I was able to go to work, I would. I feel worthless."

That's not hyperbole, I've had people on a regular basis that were in pay for benefits and come up for review working, and ask SSA to remove them from benefits, but there's a process that has to be initiated prior to straight termination.

There's people that cancel their disability claims that would be approved that withdrawal their application because they found work.

There are absolutely people in the world that will sit at home when work is available, but I can assure you that in my over arching experience, that's not most people.

PS: All that other stuff about Waiters in New York, I don't know if that's a company choice or a state choice, I'm willing to bet that's an individual restaurant choice where people can chose to work for a restaurant that does allow tipping.

Like I said, Republicans are a weird lot. They don't want government to pay for unemployment (which is reasonable, except in a once is a century pandemic) but they also don't want companies to be responsible when they lay off employees.

So, basically, you're saying that if a company miscalssifies you, which is against the law, too bad, so sad.

PSS: I can't tell you the breakdown of this, but I'm pretty confident that it's not small businesses that are the concern here.. as most small businesses that I've worked with are decent, fair people.

Last edited:
If you had actually read the article, you'd know that none of this has changed.

1) The rule had not gone into effect yet
2) The rule made it easier for employers to dodge misclassification lawsuits. It didn't make it harder for people to stay independent contractors if they chose to be.

It actually quotes that most independent contractor situations are completely lawful.

"In many cases, workers are legitimately independent from the firms they are performing work for."

Secondly, and I'll tell you from personal experience from over 3000+ Disability applications over 6 years in government work.

The vast majority of people that apply say a variation of the same thing:

"If I was able to go to work, I would. I feel worthless."

That's not hyperbole, I've had people on a regular basis that were in pay for benefits and come up for review working, and ask SSA to remove them from benefits, but there's a process that has to be initiated prior to straight termination.

There's people that cancel their disability claims that would be approved that withdrawal their application because they found work.

There are absolutely people in the world that will sit at home when work is available, but I can assure you that in my over arching experience, that's not most people.

PS: All that other stuff about Waiters in New York, I don't know if that's a company choice or a state choice, I'm willing to bet that's an individual restaurant choice where people can chose to work for a restaurant that does allow tipping.

Like I said, Republicans are a weird lot. They don't want government to pay for unemployment (which is reasonable, except in a once is a century pandemic) but they also don't want companies to be responsible when they lay off employees.

So, basically, you're saying that if a company miscalssifies you, which is against the law, too bad, so sad.

PSS: I can't tell you the breakdown of this, but I'm pretty confident that it's not small businesses that are the concern here.. as most small businesses that I've worked with are decent, fair people.

All I said about the article is Unions it's all about unions it's not about the workers

the rest was in response to the left being about the people and republicans won't give them money comment you made

Also, minimum wage costs don't apply to some small businesses

Questions and Answers About the Minimum Wage | U.S. Department of Labor.

when I drove a taxi it was 12-hour shifts yes you can work full 12 and come home with $40 it happens but you can also come home with well over $200 as much as $300 agian not a great job but you take the good with the bad

what happens to a restaurant that takes the prescribed model some workers cant work the 40 hours anymore because some small buis cant afford the benefits required

so who gets hurt again the worker as is the norm with this line of thinking

not going to go back and forth but its always the same story, I have seen it many way in many situations

Just like when I worked at a call center for 2 years then they hired off criegs list these people brought in complaints to the state on paid hours overtime pay and overtime commission pay, and regulations had to be met and it hit everyone's ability to work late and especially the comp was greatly effected i

It was a blessing to me because I went solo but still the result is always the same

The way I see it, overall republicans are for businesses, and generally for seeing less laws and regulation, not more.

With that said, if you try to expect consistency, or any type of consistent logic from any political party, you're going to get frustrated. Trust me. I've tried it. It never ends well. Sometimes the left seems to have the best idea. Sometimes the right. Sometimes green party. And sometimes, they're all a bunch of asshats.

images

Last edited:
Back