Biggest lesson learned.

Cornelius

Guru
1000 Post Club
What was your biggest lesson learned during your time in the insurance industry? I mean the real eye opener.

Mine was leaving a company I was emotionally attached to. It was hard to leave. Yet it surprised me how easy it was. I just sent in a registered letter to the company and that was it. I could have been anyone. No follow up to verify anything. Not from Corp or the local office.

I guess in some way the Corp office did follow up because they sent me a letter telling me their rights about sending back all self purchased materials and the noncompete. At that moment beyond all the hype I realized the bottom line in the insurance business is it's business.

Lesson learned was don't believe the hype... I thought we were one big family...

What was your biggest lesson learned during your time in the insurance industry? I mean the real eye opener.

Mine was leaving a company I was emotionally attached to. It was hard to leave. Yet it surprised me how easy it was. I just sent in a registered letter to the company and that was it. I could have been anyone. No follow up to verify anything. Not from Corp or the local office.

I guess in some way the Corp office did follow up because they sent me a letter telling me their rights about sending back all self purchased materials and the noncompete. At that moment beyond all the hype I realized the bottom line in the insurance business is it's business.

Lesson learned was don't believe the hype... I thought we were one big family...
It is a "What have you done for me lately and what will you do for me in the future" industry. That holds true, not only for companies but for IMOs, agencies and managers. :sad:

Learning to ask for referrals. Hands down. I slowly implemented the system, and have been improving and fine tuning it for the last few years. My last two sales I got 3 referrals from one guy, and 12 from another. They are free, and have a higher close rate than another other kind of lead. It absolutely blows me away that I don't see other agents fully implementing this.

It absolutely blows me away that I don't see other agents fully implementing this.

I get referrals but I do not regularly ask for them. Would you mind sharing anything of how you approach asking for them? Do you set it up during the presentation?

I ask for them at every close and get an average of 3. I have custom tailored it to my style, and the type of businesses I write.

First I ask if they know anyone who would be interested in getting the same benefits they have. If I am lucky I will get one or two there. Then I start giving very specific examples of people I know they know, and ask permission to contact them.

Markthebroker, The opportunity is limited to a few states currently. (WA, OR, ID, CA, TX). Opportunity is better than Goosehead or Brightway. If anyone is in any of these states and interested in going independent, it's a great opportunity.

Why aren't you offering me the opportunity? Why aren't you responding on the original thread? Fishy.

Biggest lesson?

Always remember the positive outcomes and express gratitude for the clients, colleagues, etc

Take challenges and roadblocks as things that can be overcome

Debrief after each presentation with a prospective client/client

Every now and then, I use the takeaway. It shows clients and prospects that I operate from abundance and positivity and I minimize/take my attention away from anything that is opposite.

There will probably be more as I learn the ropes

Back