Biological Father Died 25 Years Ago

Piece Of The Pie

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
My biological father never new he had any children. I didn't know about him until last month. He died of lung cancer 25 years ago. He lived most of his adult life in Las Vegas, Nevada. How can I find out if he had any life insurance or cancer insurance. Thanks.

You can't. And, would you have been the beneficiary? No, so it doesn't matter. Sorry about the situation, but no money in it for you.

My biological father never new he had any children. I didn't know about him until last month. He died of lung cancer 25 years ago. He lived most of his adult life in Las Vegas, Nevada. How can I find out if he had any life insurance or cancer insurance. Thanks.

You can't. Life insurance is private and doesn't go through the estate. Unless you are the beneficiary you would not know it exists and you have no rights to it regardless of your relationship to him.

If he had insurance but did not name a living beneficiary then it would be an asset of his estate. That is public info and you can get records of that. If he had a will that did not mention you you could possibly contest the will and have an inheritance from that. But the life insurance is not affected by a will or the estate if it had a named beneficiary.

The beauty of life insurance is that it if a beneficiary or beneficiaries are named it passes directly to them apart from any will, or estate, or any taxation.

The only thing that may help is if you can get his bank records you could see if there were any life insurance companies debiting money out of his account. Lots of people find out that way. It will tell you who the company is and you can look up their phone number.

I have seen people writing letters to all the insurance companies and asking them if they are listed as beneficiary. You would need to include your name DOB and SSN and hopefully it matches insurance companies records.

The guy who died didn't even know he had a child...so how is it possible that this person, who just found out this guy was his Dad 25 years after he died, could possibly be a beneficiary??? You guys/gals are not reading this thread.

Back