Birthday Cards or Letters?

Many, many years ago our insurance agent who took care of a 200 employee company was very good at keeping those letters coming in (before the days of the micro-computer). I always appeciated the contact. Guess it's time to start doing it. I've been sending out Christmas cards but I agree, letters are the way to go. Jen

I write 2 cards soon as I sell any policy. The first is a thank you card, sent same day. The second is a Christmas card filed till the holidays. Learned to do this the hard way when one year I had to make out 300 Christmas cards at holiday time :(

Sorry Frank, I just don't see how putting Mr/Miss/Mrs on the top of a letter and a handwritten request for referrals makes it personalized. Do you have something in the body of the letter, like a shared experience or something that personalizes it? I get letters from realtors every day addressed to me or my wife and they go straight in the round file.

Sorry Frank, I just don't see how putting Mr/Miss/Mrs on the top of a letter and a handwritten request for referrals makes it personalized. Do you have something in the body of the letter, like a shared experience or something that personalizes it? I get letters from realtors every day addressed to me or my wife and they go straight in the round file.

No need to be sorry.

I have always been told that a "personalized letter" is one that has the recipients name at the top of the letter as opposed to "Dear Policy Holder". Have you never heard that term used before to refer to a letter that is addressed to an individual as opposed to a group?

I never said anything about there being a "handwritten request for referrals" in any of my posts about the birthday letters I send out. I don't have a clue where you got that. You apparently are seeing things that aren't there. I said, "I personally sign each one". As in hand writing my signature at the bottom.On occasion I will write a hand written note at the bottom asking how their golf game is going or how their garden is doing or if the corn looks good this year but not on everyone.
My birthday letters are printed on light gray, laid finish, 25% cotton stationery and sent in matching envelopes.

They are sent to my clients, I do not send them to prospects. My clients not only open them but tell me they look forward to receiving them. A lot of them even save the letters from former years.

If you don't like the idea then fine, no one is saying that you have to either use it or like it. The question was raised and I just offered as another suggestion. It works for me.

I would definitely not send an "e-card". I sometimes get those and they are deleted as fast as the birthday card I receive from my P&C agent is thrown away that is sent out by State Farm. My agent doesn't even know that I'm having a birthday.

I do a lot with email. However, it supplements instead of replacing my mailings. e-cards and other Internet based communication is dirt cheap. Many marketers use electronic communication instead of US mail and phone calls because of the price.

I get a 10% 15% open rate on bulk email to prospects who have already visited my website. This means that 10% to 15% of my prospects get an extra opportunity to buy from me if I also send them something in the mail.

I send my clients a birthday card every year. One month after their birthday, I call them on the phone. I ask them if they need kind of policy changes or to modify their beneficaries. Example, did you recently buy a new home, get married or remarried, have a baby, or need to change your existing beneficaries, and then I offer some of my new free services. I offer them a free credit report each year and tell them about anything else that I'm offering.

They sometimes tell me that I'm the only one that remember their birthdays and calls to check on them every year.

Agent's make a big mistake of never contacting the clients again after they sell them.

Mark Rosenthal
www.realfastservice.com

Try the personalized card sent immediately as a Thank You, then 20 days later as a follow-up, then six months later, their birthday and Christmas, all for only $5 for the whole thing. It's an automated birthday card marketing and referral system that works wonders.. at www.myunlimitedleads.com/referrals

Us P&C guys get pretty lazy with 3 or 4 thousand renewals coming in, but... last year I had the ladies start "calling" all birthdays on the phone. That's right, on the phone.. we dropped "cards" for personal phone calls!! Unfreaking believable response! Referrals are up, persistency is up, production is up...guess what... give it a try for a few months and see if it doesn't add a value to you as their agent. Or sit on your ass like we "had" been doing and get slowly eaten up by the guys who are out there looking for a way to provide extra value

Back