Blogging Tips You Can Use

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Ran across something in a newsletter from a lady that started blogging for fun with the hope that she could make some money. She is making money now. How much, I don't know but she had a few tips I thought were worthwhile.

Her blog is about cooking in a slow cooker, AKA Crock Pot.

--I would post every single day, no matter what

--I would be honest about my failures/flops

--I would misspell the word "Crock-Pot" to snag google searches

--I would use the word "recipe" and "crockpot" in every single post title

Targeting the same keyword to every post will make pages compete for that keyword imo.

Regarding optimizing for misspellings it doesn't work anymore because G will show the assumed word. Heres a nice reddit comment that sums it up:
"To get the query for the misspelled word, users would have to click on the "show results of X instead link", which, of course, nobody will ever do. So even if you optimize for the misspelled word, there is a likelihood the query you're hoping on will never be shown."

I wouldnt post everyday or you could get hit with the panda algorithm, which penalizes lite content. G's rankings now take into consideration the website as a whole, too many underperforming pages will drop the site's rankings, which is why many experts had to go back and beef up the article to make it more valuable, or delete it and 301 redirect to a better page.

The focus is creating valuable content for consumers, not pumping out "top 5" articles etc.

Also she's targeting crockpots which is probably an Amazon affiliate set up, which will have a low competition (not many results within the title) compared to our insurance niche, so her content allowed her to rank anyways.

Last edited:
No apology needed. And yes, we don't sea these every day. Figured I would toss it out and see what happens.

Her market is somewhat limited (targeting those who like to use a slow kooker). Sometimes people learn by trial and error (which is mostly what eye do).

I thought her mis-spelling idea was novel. I no Google corrects my misspellings but figured WTH.

As four the idea of generating an article a day, I think our buddy Jeff Route suggests that to get your site rolling.

Glad you like the play.

She's also about to get a "cease and desist" letter. Crock-pot is a brand and you can't use it. She needs to call it "slow cooker"

I hated the play, but there's a pot roast in the slow cooker right now! ;)

(Actually, starting a blog is on my post OEP list, so I need all the tips I can get!)

Thanks for all those valuable tips. I have started blogging a years ago. You advised to post every day. I know its useful but I can't. My small post contains 1500 word. Oh. I forgot to mention... I have a photography blog. I have to upload images also. It takes huge time for a post. So I don't have enough energy to write next day. I try to publish a post in each week or in 15 days.

Thanks for all those valuable tips. I have started blogging a years ago. You advised to post every day. I know its useful but I can't. My small post contains 1500 word. Oh. I forgot to mention... I have a photography blog. I have to upload images also. It takes huge time for a post. So I don't have enough energy to write next day. I try to publish a post in each week or in 15 days.

If you don't have time to post daily you could use some automatic soft to post it for you, like rss feed to post or any other.

More posts - more traffic

Back