Blue Cross - Go with a Contracted General Agent, or an MAA?

maddog8760

I'm considering two different agencies to work with Blue Cross in Florida. One is a contracted general agent (CGA) and the other is an MAA, which is an agency under a CGA. What do any of you know about both... advantages, disadvantages. I know that MAA's can't use the BCBS logo, but are their differences in commissions, training, etc... What if an MAA agent wants additional training? Can they get corporate training? Are their more benefits being under a CGA?....

All responses are appreciated... thanks!!!

maddog8760,

For the most part you answered your own question. The biggest difference between the MAA and CGA is the restricted use of the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida logo. The MAA is more like a trial contract, if you don't write enough business Blue Cross Blue Shield can easily terminate the individual selling relationship. With that being said, commissions are determined by each agency (whether CGA or MAA). My office has the MAA contract and we are in the process of recruiting new agents to come on board and our commission levels are significantly higher than what all the other CGA's are offering in my county. As far as training, I can send my agents to corporate, and I have a well established relationship with the top manager which also does most of the training. All in all, production is the key and you will want to choose an environment that will help you sell ethically and not just be in a room full of agents that are chasing after the same prospects you are. Believe it or not, I have seen this happen many times. Good luck and hopefully this helps a bit! By the way, what county are you in?

Disassociate, I'm working in Orange County. If corporate training is an option, I would like to know how I can do that.

This has been a hot topic for my agents. When working for a CGA...and selling BCBS health products as an outside agent....does that make you Captive with Fl Blue?

In Florida, if you sell FL blue you can only offer FL blue. So you’re pretty much captive, even if you are independent.

Back