Blue Cross of Florida questions

MikeLentini

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I was told that if you have BCBS of Florida and you travel out of state, are you out of network?

"You "may" be able to access their network in other states. The states have a reciprocal agreement?"

I "may" be able to nail Angelina Jolie.

I need a real answer.

I hope that you are not selling these plans and don't know the answer to this.

If it's HMO or POS, only emergency services would be covered outside of the carrier's service area. Any other services would not be covered in any way.

If it's PPO coverage, it falls under BlueCard, the BCBS Association program that allows any Blue PPO subscribers to access both emergency and urgent (non-emergency) care in any state by tapping into the BlueCard PPO network. All Blue PPO subscribers receive with their enrollment materials, the toll-free number for BlueCard. Call BlueCard and they will provide that subscriber with a list of providers in the area who are contracted with that state's BCBS licensee. As long as it is not preventative or routine care, it will be covered same as home state.

There is overseas coverage with BlueCard as well.

Here you go:
BlueCard® - When Traveling Inside of the U.S.

Thank you.

No I don't sell anything until I know the product inside and out.

I sell pretty much every major medical carrier in 15 states, but BCBS requires you to get assignments in each state with each BCBS NFP company and I was trying to see if it was worth it for me to get assigned or offer their products.

In Florida, I was told it was captive , so I couldnt add it to my arsenal. I was actually trying to figure out how to sell against it, since many people I am writing are coming off BCBS group plans.

I think any health agent that sells for a captive agency/carrier is a jackass.

Cool. I have heard that FL is captive/FMO for BCBS. Here they are separate and competing carriers each offering direct contracts.

The Association has some good points about it, like BlueCard and Interplan Transfer provision, and sometimes the holding company can add even more value. Anthem has a whole bunch of states Blue and they currently have 11 state full reciprocation of coverage provisions in place and should get to all of the Anthem in the next year or two.

Thank you.

No I don't sell anything until I know the product inside and out.

I sell pretty much every major medical carrier in 15 states, but BCBS requires you to get assignments in each state with each BCBS NFP company and I was trying to see if it was worth it for me to get assigned or offer their products.

In Florida, I was told it was captive , so I couldnt add it to my arsenal. I was actually trying to figure out how to sell against it, since many people I am writing are coming off BCBS group plans.

I think any health agent that sells for a captive agency/carrier is a jackass.

I regret trying to help you. I am not surprised that you are a big time agent and don't know to call the carrier or look up their website. In Florlida it is www.bcbsfl.com You'd rather get opinions from agents than talk to the carrier.

"You "may" be able to access their network in other states. The states have a reciprocal agreement?"

I "may" be able to nail Angelina Jolie.

I need a real answer.

Just what we need on this forum. Another one who knows it all. And there is NO CHANCE of you nailing her. She has too much class. I stand by my statement. We are not bc florida agents because they're all captive. I gave info from when I was with them for a short time. Only the carrier can tell you exactly at this moment how it works. It can change at anytime. Your question was so open, I thought you were a consumer. What a surprise when you exposed yourself as you are.

BCBSFL, just like the rest of the blues, is a franchise State by State. Clients who are on BCBS are using the BCBS network so if a client has a problem while traveling, claims should be paid. However, if a person is living in FL and has BCBS and moves to another State, the policy they have is NOT portable. The client has to re-apply with the BCBS in the new State and is not guaranteed acceptance. If they contracted a declinable condition, they will not be acceptable for coverage.

Back