Blueprint Starting Out

Jul 11, 2015

1. wolfe42

wolfe42 Expert

I was wondering if some of you could give me an idea of how to start preparing myself to start selling insurance.

I am taking my Life and Health exam in a couple of weeks, and was just wondering how some of you started your business out and what type of results you came up with.

I am a independent agent and getting ready to work with a successful agent that has been in the business for about 35 years.

I know his views on starting out, but I would like some different feedback from some professionals out there as well

Thank You

2. DHK

DHK Sweep the Leg!

State:
    California
    What specifically are you going to be selling?

3. wolfe42

wolfe42 Expert

Hi DHK,

I will be selling Life and Health products, although I am not sure what companies I will be going through or niche market at this point.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am going to work with a guy that is very respected in the industry, and he is 65 years old.

I have gotten to know him over the last few years and he said he would help me get started and mentor me.

However, I like to look on down the road so can be prepared and get a plan of action in place, but he tells me to just get my license and we can go from there.

So I guess I feel a little in the dark about how to proceed after I get my license.

Thanks

4. kstein

kstein Guru

Step one: sign up your partner for a med sup!

5. xrac

xrac Guru

State:
    Indiana
    Buy and read Building a Financial Services Clientele : A Guide to the One Card System by O. Alfred Granum, Delia Alberstein and Barry Alberstein (2001, Hardcover). You can get it in Half.com fir about $5.00 with shipping. This will give you a plan of action.

6. wolfe42

wolfe42 Expert

Thanks for your input Xrac :biggrin:

7. DHK

DHK Sweep the Leg!

State:
    California
    What you need... is a job description.

Here's one to get you going:
    1) Work 45-50 hours per week
    2) Get and meet with 5 new prospects per week.
    3) Close 2-3 cases per week
    4) Hold 2 Referral gathering sessions per week.
    5) Prospect 4 hours per day (this includes referral gathering sessions)

Adjust as necessary for your market and product line.

8. WinoBlues

WinoBlues Guru

State:
    California
    Assuming your buddy is a good trainer and mentor. Not all good producers are.

My recommendation is - get licensed, get off this and other forums, study, learn and do what he tells you to. Then in 6 months or so, about the time you think you know it all, come back. We will be happy to correct you. :)

This forum is awesome. I wish it was around when I was a young agent. However, it will have your head spinning. To many different products and opinions on how to sell each one.

My two cents.

----------

Also X and DHK'sadvice advice is solid and should not go against your trainer's.

9. wolfe42

wolfe42 Expert

Hi DHK,

Thanks for your input...Do you have any thoughts of getting those clients in the beginning besides just marketing friends and family?

Thanks

----------

Thanks Winoblues...I will keep that in mind

10. Newby

Newby Guru

State:
    Indiana
    Wino gave you the best advice you're ever going to get. Quit trying to outthink the guy that's going to be training you. Just become a sponsor and absorbent do everything he tells you to do. And run with it. If a successful doing it you can re-create exactly what he's doing. Once you're making money and got yourself a system going then come back and you can get your head spun around in circles and see if you can improve on it.