Body language and sales?

As someone who almost turned profesional poker player last year.... I agree with the story, however take it up a notch... go get a good book on non verbal tells... it's critical in the world of poker to understand what a person is doing with his "tells".... this is as important as product knowledge!!!

FYI. The use of "mirroring" is one aspect of NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming). NLP was founded by Richard Bandler, a student, and John Grinder, a professor of linguistsics, in association with social scientist Gregory Bateson. Anthony Robbins had been a teacher of NLP and then adapted many of its tenets to his own programs in the 90's which were heavily marketed on TV infomercials. (Information from Wikipedia website).

NLP was popular in the 80's and early 90's although I haven't heard much about it in recent years (nor have I heard much recently about Tony Robbins). On the whole NLP has been controversial, including use of the "mirroring" technique. I personally believe there is validity to body language giving clues to a person's attitude, but have my doubts about "mirroring." In fact, IMHO if someone became aware that anyone was mimicking them by adopting the same body language, I think they would kick the other person out of the house or sic their dog on them.

Back