Body shop estimator seems to be pricing repair 30~40% higher than normal

Is the estimate reasonable?

• Estimate is reasonable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Estimate is low

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mlyip2000

Older gentleman was turning left at an intersection. I was behind him. Light turned yellow, we were both in the intersection.

Light turned red, then he proceeded to complete his left turn. Maybe 10~15 km/hr speed.
Before he finished his left turn, something spooked him, so he abruptly stopped. I proceed to stop and turn my car out of the way. I still ended up touching his bumper with the side of my bumper.
Damage is there, but minimal. I gave him my license and insurance. He couldn't write it down (I think he had Parkinson or some mild disability.. I used to work at a retirement home) and he didn't know how to use the camera on his phone (so I helped him take a picture of my insurance & license). It was an accident, I was behind him so I wanted to owe up to this (even tho I felt he stopped erratically for no probable cause).

The next day, he sends me an estimate that is 1800$

I've had bumper imprints before that people paid me $750 or I paid people around $800 for.
Never had one for $1800.

I feel that the 4 wheel alignment and the 1 hour mechanical noise assessment is ridiculous. (his wheel was never touched) The rest is high but I can live with it.

What do some of the experts in this field feel?

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated

Cant really speak to exactly what is the procedure in Canada but...You hit him (touched his bumper) and the result is his claim. You can ask your carrier to inspect the vehicle and let the insurance companies fight it out. If you gave him your information and offered to repair out of pocket you messed up. If your carrier is involved do not speak to him or his carrier again. Tell him to call your claims department

Cant really speak to exactly what is the procedure in Canada but...You hit him (touched his bumper) and the result is his claim. You can ask your carrier to inspect the vehicle and let the insurance companies fight it out. If you gave him your information and offered to repair out of pocket you messed up. If your carrier is involved do not speak to him or his carrier again. Tell him to call your claims department

I talked to the estimator today. He told me the old man is a prick and difficult to deal with. He told him many items would not be approved by an adjuster and this is at most a 800~900$ job. He told the old man that if he wanted to have some of these items done, the insurance company would make him pay it out of his own pocket.

Well, since you already know it's outrageous here are your choices.

1 - Turn it over to your insurance company and let them deal with the claimant. Count on a surcharge next renewal for an at-fault accident (unless you have accident forgiveness) no matter how little they pay.

2 - Confront him with what the estimator told you and see if you can negotiate it downward. Make sure you get him to sign a release when you pay.

3 - If he balks and you still don't want your insurance involved, pay what he wants, get a release and be done with it.

Well, since you already know it's outrageous here are your choices.

1 - Turn it over to your insurance company and let them deal with the claimant. Count on a surcharge next renewal for an at-fault accident (unless you have accident forgiveness) no matter how little they pay.

2 - Confront him with what the estimator told you and see if you can negotiate it downward. Make sure you get him to sign a release when you pay.

3 - If he balks and you still don't want your insurance involved, pay what he wants, get a release and be done with it.
Thanks. These were my exact thoughts.

Body shop estimator said I should've just drove away.

He told me clients like this are more trouble than it's worth, because they come back and keep bitching about things after the fact when everything has been repaired properly

Back