Brand New Agent @ Genworth- Looking for Advice

Hey guys,
My names Luke, i'm a brand new independent agent at Genworth out of Pleasanton CA.
I was recently appointed with the company about 3 weeks ago, and have only closed 2 polices so far - 1 term life and 1 annuity.
I have to bring in some self generated business before they start giving me leads to call, so im finding it difficult to bring in business since i don't exactly have a list of people in front of me to call. Ive talked to people in my own network but have only closed 2 so far. Ive ordered a box of marketing post cards and have been passing them out around my local area and slipping them in the front doors of local home- still no bites yet.
Any advice you seasoned vets out there have for us newbies??
As a new agent, roughly how many appointments should i be making per week?

Btw i appreciate any advice and tips that you provide.

Thanks guys,

Luke

Door to door, I have been making it work on straight commission for 8 years. Had many weeks over 10 policies. There is an exact science to it! The cheapest and most effective way to get started!

Door to door, I have been making it work on straight commission for 8 years. Had many weeks over 10 policies. There is an exact science to it! The cheapest and most effective way to get started!

Cheers for the advice. Ive heard this method for others in my area. I will give it a try. If you talk to 20 people door to door, on average how many would you close? Just trying to get an idea.

Cheers

Limit....what product are you selling?

Genworth. Are you independent? If you are get licensed with other carriers. GNW is limited on what they sale

Genworth. Are you independent? If you are get licensed with other carriers. GNW is limited on what they sale

Yes, I'm independent. I am currently in the process of holding my license with Mutual of Omaha here in the northern Ca area and eventually will be signed up with Foresters.

Hey guys,
My names Luke, i'm a brand new independent agent at Genworth out of Pleasanton CA.
I was recently appointed with the company about 3 weeks ago, and have only closed 2 polices so far - 1 term life and 1 annuity.
I have to bring in some self generated business before they start giving me leads to call,

How much self generated business before they give you leads?

What exactly are they supposed to do for you?

You would probably be better off getting the full commission than giving it to them for what?

How much self generated business before they give you leads?

What exactly are they supposed to do for you?

You would probably be better off getting the full commission than giving it to them for what?

I have to bring it roughly 20k of annual premium before i go though a week long LTC Training course then they give me leads from AARP.
I agree, i would be better off getting the full commission because as of right now im getting 50%, its split evenly with another agent until i get the full training. The whole process is a bit messed up and out of order, so im glad im going to be joining a few other carriers soon.

I have to bring it roughly 20k of annual premium before i go though a week long LTC Training course then they give me leads from AARP.

Were these going to be LTC leads?

Genworth to drop AARP LTC product line | LifeHealthPro

If so, not sure where they will get them since Genworth is not going with AARP anymore. Did they tell you that?

I agree, i would be better off getting the full commission because as of right now im getting 50%, its split evenly with another agent until i get the full training.

So you bring in business and they get half of it?

You are also getting 50% of a reduced commission, so probably 25% of what you could get from an FMO. They get 75% of the comission you would be getting.

You will be "donating" more than $10,000 in commissions.

When you burn out they will bring in another agent and promise them leads and training and the cycle goes on.

The whole process is a bit messed up and out of order, so im glad im going to be joining a few other carriers soon.

Its a good process for them and bad for you.

I believe they want your LTC contracts with them don't they?

Thats the deal to get the leads and training. You better get everything in writing, then you will see the holes in it.

Last edited:
Chances are your up line doesn't know how to prospect. I think you would be better off anywhere other than where you are at. Talk to AGLA, Combined, Western Southern, etc.

Latest posts

Back