Brand New from Louisiana! Trying to Decide Between P&C or L&H...

LAL

[FONT=&quot]Hello everyone! I am brand new to the industry and do not have my license yet, but I do have a Bachelor of Arts. I'd like to become an agent in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Louisiana[/FONT][FONT=&quot], but still trying to decide whether it is better to start out in P&C or L&H. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Any suggestions would be great. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Also...Which companies have training and/or programs for college graduates?

Thanks in advance!
[/FONT]

Where are you located in la? I know going below I10 is sticky as far as auto and home because of the hurricanes. Mainly homeowners is tough to write.

Welcome LAL. One question. What made you decide on becoming an agent? Just a question........

You can do it both, but I understand you are asking where to start.

First and foremost is follow your heart and not the money when you decide.

P&C.....must have for (legal) people
L&H....NOPE!

Health? Do you watch the news? Follow the forums....A lot at stake and a lot of agents planning their exits.....'lotta risk there.

No one can really tell you which way to go, I'm just saying the money will change as the industry and laws change....How much of your income are you willing to gamble on the government with?

Good luck

KethRi2- I am currently living in a few miles from New Orleans.

cook920- There are several reasons why I choose to become an agent. Briefly, it is closely related to my work experience (mostly PT during school). Some of my strongest skills are written/verbal communication, research, and analysis, developed from coursework in Sociology. Also, providing information for people and helping solve problems is what I enjoy. Lastly, insurance agent has shown up in results of myers-briggs & MAPP personality tests multiple times.

At first I was studying for the P&C exam, but decided I better do a little more research before choosing to start with this type rather than L&H. I am aware of the healthcare reform currently going on, but not every detail. Basically I don't know which situation/specialty is better for a someone just starting out- hurricane season (P&C) vs. healthcare reform (L&H).

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I swore when I started as an agent that I'd never do anything with Medicare. It seemed complicated and boring.

I wanted to sell Life Insurance - period. It interested me the most (it still does interest me quite a bit, and I still sell it).

But, after experimenting a little and selling my first medicare supplement policy, I decided that working in the medicare market was a perfect fit for me. Funny how the one thing you say you'll never sell can become the product you love to sell the most... when you enjoy the market, and you have flexibility in what you are selling (e.g. the the ability to sell the right fitting product to your client), you'll do well.

My point? Jump in with the one you think you'll enjoy the most, but keep your options/ears open.

I swore when I started as an agent that I'd never do anything with Medicare. It seemed complicated and boring.

I wanted to sell Life Insurance - period. It interested me the most (it still does interest me quite a bit, and I still sell it). ko

But, after experimenting a little and selling my first medicare supplement policy, I decided that working in the medicare market was a perfect fit for me. Funny how the one thing you say you'll never sell can become the product you love to sell the most... when you enjoy the market, and you have flexibility in what you are selling (e.g. the the ability to sell the right fitting product to your client), you'll do well.

My point? Jump in with the one you think you'll enjoy the most, but keep your options/ears open.

Thanks a bunch! So did you start out with a life only license and then obtain your Health license later or both at the same time?

LAL:

Glad to hear you have put in some thought. I wasn't thinking about Medicare in L&H. Now that is a market that isn't going anywhere any time soon. If you like working with seniors, then your L&H in senior sales will be profitable and rewarding for you.

Best of luck and welcome aboard.

Oh......If you don't have a Linkedin profile yet, get started on it. You must present yourself very professionally and that profile will definitely help if someone is researching you.

again, welcome :)

[FONT=&quot]Hello everyone! I am brand new to the industry and do not have my license yet, but I do have a Bachelor of Arts. I'd like to become an agent in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Louisiana[/FONT][FONT=&quot], but still trying to decide whether it is better to start out in P&C or L&H. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Any suggestions would be great. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Also...Which companies have training and/or programs for college graduates?

Thanks in advance!
[/FONT]

Well, IMO, your degree would possibly be a plus if you're looking to do back office/management type work. It seems to me that having drive, people skills, and an attitude of helping people will serve you the best as an agent. I'd spend time reading this forum to get a better grasp of these concepts from many different perspectives.

One thing is for sure, we're not short of agents in Louisiana, but we could definitely use another "quality one." Maybe that can be you? Seriously, there's a need for quality agents in both L&H and P&C. You really need to land on one or the other. I tried doing both many years ago and it was difficult and ineffective, at least for me.

Thank you all for the helpful information and advice provided in response to my questions. I am excited to join the industry and look forward to contributing to developments in the field!

Back