Branding yourself through association

Survivor

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I am wondering if any of you are members of any insurance associations. Have you found that being a member of an association helped your "brand" by lending you more credibility. As a newer agent, I feel it is important for customers to perceive me as a professional capable of handling their needs.

What associations are good for professional development AND telling customers that you are the "real deal."

I used to wonder about this myself. Then it dawned upon me, the average consumer has no idea what the associations mean, stand for, whatever, and probably don't care. Of course, it depends what your writing, if you target high value households, they may. Most don't.

Of course, designations (I know you asked associations) such as CFP are known, and probably are meaningful. ChFC, which is basically the same designation, is less known, and people will scratch their head. Of course, alphabet soup after your name doesn't hurt.

Associations are to help you. Designations are to help the consumer, but only if they know what the designation means, and it has value. Everyone seems to sell a designation now, so make sure the designation means something.

Dan

Associations are to help you. Designations are to help the consumer, but only if they know what the designation means, and it has value. Everyone seems to sell a designation now, so make sure the designation means something.

Dan

The designation you need is mine! For on $499 plus a $40 dollar monthly fee you'll be license to use the all encompassing designation of,

OHOANF

Known to all in the know, don't leave home without it!

Ps of course there is the yearly training, free of charge. You'll need 6 hours of CE, paid for you by us!

A great example of why designations can be meaningless :) It's funny though, I see this type of thing all the time. There must be money to be made in selling designations!

Dan

Associations are good for two things.

You (may) occasionally learn something that will be useful, particularly if you are new to the industry.

Two, you get to see who your competition is.

Every year I get my CE by seminar. It allows me to see at least some of the folks who are competing with me for business.

I stopped going to industry meetings a long time ago. Wasn't worth the 2 hours a month to be in the same room with guys (and gals) who were either wannabe's brown-nosing or the handful of successful agents who simply wanted to strut their ego's.

I have been a CLU since graduating from college a long time ago. (I took most of the course work while in school). Only a handful of people bother to acknowledge the designation (even if they don't know what it means) and most don't seem to care.

I have nothing after my name. Nor do I belong to any association, except this one:laugh:.

I looked into CSA since I am in the senior market. However, I have realized that I have never lost a sale because I have not had it, so I did not get it.

What I have learned that people want to know that you know what you are talking about. You can have all the letters after your name but if you are not on top of your game, it will not matter.

Now, the education part is important. I just google Medicare every so often under the news part and see what is going on out there. I also read senior journal online and get a mix of insurance magazines at home (Agents Sales Journal, Life Insurance Selling, & Senior Market Adviser).

Just sold a pool table to a guy on craigslist and this is how his email was signed:

Gregory A. Peebles, CISM, CISSP, CISA, CIA, CFSA, FLMI
Senior Manager
Clark Schaefer Consulting

I chuckled when I read it, as I have no clue what any of those designations mean.

Anybody got any idea?

Back