Breaking Into The Biz

I'd like to start off by saying that this forum has been quite helpful to me prior to my even posting an introduction, and would like to thank those that continually post honest and informative content on this forum.

I am a career chef, that has recently made the decision to leave the foodservice industry. I have a young family, and foodservice has not allowed me to spend the kind of time them that they deserve. Don't get me wrong, I'm very willing to work hard, even "long hours", but I'm coming off an Executive Chef position in which I worked 85-115 hours/week, nights, holidays, and weekends in particular. After several months of research and discussions with my wife, I left my $80K/year position to pursue insurance sales.

I took a full-time job selling cable services, which I start Monday. Tomorrow, I take my life insurance exam, for which I am well prepared. I've also started marketing my own HVAC services in my community, and have generated a nice supplemental income. So, I'm in a pretty decent place to begin my journey into the world of being an insurance producer, without risking my families need for food/shelter/water/etc.

I still, however, am undecided on where to start. I have had a few conversations with MLM's, and have no interest in that concept. I have considered working as a captive agent to learn some technique, though this would require me to drop my sales position, and disable me to begin selling part-time on my own. So, I'm really leaning towards getting an IMO, and beginning independent sales on a part time basis. I'm sitting on a relatively low budget, though I am employed, so I do have capital to purchase leads/market my services/ etc.

Where I'm really stuck is deciding which type of products to begin with. Many on this forum suggest that FE is a great place to start. Being in a community made up of a high percentage of 50-75 y/o's, this certainly would seem to be a good fit for me. There also seems to be some very good IMO's for FE participating in this forum.

What do you think? Any other areas that might be a good place to start with a moderate budget?

Any suggestions of any kind will be appreciated.

chefadamo

While I have never sold 'FE', I would recommend it as a way to get started fast. Get involved in the FE forum and ask some questions. They do get a little carried away there, but that's probably the best place to get started and get functional.

Once you have that running well, you may want to expand into Medicare Supplements... but do one thing, do it well, and THEN expand.

Thanks DHK, I'm pretty sure you've given that exact advice to others, and it would seem to be quite advised by others.

I'm in Colorado Mr. B.

I'd like to start off by saying that this forum has been quite helpful to me prior to my even posting an introduction, and would like to thank those that continually post honest and informative content on this forum.

I am a career chef, that has recently made the decision to leave the foodservice industry. I have a young family, and foodservice has not allowed me to spend the kind of time them that they deserve. Don't get me wrong, I'm very willing to work hard, even "long hours", but I'm coming off an Executive Chef position in which I worked 85-115 hours/week, nights, holidays, and weekends in particular. After several months of research and discussions with my wife, I left my $80K/year position to pursue insurance sales.

I took a full-time job selling cable services, which I start Monday. Tomorrow, I take my life insurance exam, for which I am well prepared. I've also started marketing my own HVAC services in my community, and have generated a nice supplemental income. So, I'm in a pretty decent place to begin my journey into the world of being an insurance producer, without risking my families need for food/shelter/water/etc.

I still, however, am undecided on where to start. I have had a few conversations with MLM's, and have no interest in that concept. I have considered working as a captive agent to learn some technique, though this would require me to drop my sales position, and disable me to begin selling part-time on my own. So, I'm really leaning towards getting an IMO, and beginning independent sales on a part time basis. I'm sitting on a relatively low budget, though I am employed, so I do have capital to purchase leads/market my services/ etc.

Where I'm really stuck is deciding which type of products to begin with. Many on this forum suggest that FE is a great place to start. Being in a community made up of a high percentage of 50-75 y/o's, this certainly would seem to be a good fit for me. There also seems to be some very good IMO's for FE participating in this forum.

What do you think? Any other areas that might be a good place to start with a moderate budget?

Any suggestions of any kind will be appreciated.

chefadamo

It's obvious that you've done your research and won't be going into this blindly.

I'll give you the same advice as DHK. Start with FE, as it's the easiest to learn and you can get the money rolling in quickly. After you know the FE business like the back of your hand, transition to Medicare Supplements...that's where the long term renewals are and you can still cross sell FE to your Medicare Supplement clients along with other products like annuities, etc.

Beware of the IMO/FMO's that PM you. They have something to hide...that's why they don't post their offers on the open Forum, because they know the experienced agents will call them out. There are many good IMO's and agencies that post on the Forum, along with many good mentors.

Welcome to the Forum and best of luck to you!:)

Thanks Goillini,

I really like the concept of starting with a product that is easy (relative term) to learn, quick to build bankroll, and transitions well into the sale of a good renewal product.

I was curious if I would get any different answers with my own post, rather than just lurking off others, but it would seem this is a solid route to get me started.

Thanks again,

chefadamo

While I have never sold 'FE', I would recommend it as a way to get started fast. Get involved in the FE forum and ask some questions. They do get a little carried away there, but that's probably the best place to get started and get functional. Once you have that running well, you may want to expand into Medicare Supplements... but do one thing, do it well, and THEN expand.

^^^
Listen to the man. Good advice

While I have never sold 'FE', I would recommend it as a way to get started fast. Get involved in the FE forum and ask some questions. They do get a little carried away there, but that's probably the best place to get started and get disfunctional.

Once you have that running well, you may want to expand into Medicare Supplements... but do one thing, do it well, and THEN expand.

Fixed that for you.

Latest posts

Back