Breaking into the IA

Bojmir

I am a producer with a captive agency (Allstate). Our book is just under 8 mil and I sell between 15k-20k a month of P&C. I have an opportunity to piggy back off a friends IA. My question is what carriers could I get immediate apointments with on my side of the "piggy back" and what carriers will I need to build up my book in order to draw in?

If you need more info on the arraingment please ask. I'm very curious if others on here have started in a similiar fashion and how they did it.

Thanks!

You need to post what state you are in first, and whether you do PL or CL. With Allstate I assume you are mainly PL.

Honestly you might just want to see if you can work independent or captive with Erie. I hear that they are awesome in PA (they had better be, they are from Erie, PA!) and it might be a good place to look. If you can do it independently, even better. They would probably be your go-to company. Safeco might be another good one to have as well.

I appreciate the input NCP. I am exploring other options as well but I was hoping for more specific replies on this particular situation. Hopefully from people that may have started a scratch IA as piggy backing off an established agency. If there is anybody out there like that I would greatly appreciate any input on this. Not only my initial question but any other pro's or cons on doing it this way.

I am in SC and studying up to take the P&C test shortly. I want to start out as an independent on my own. I know people are gonna talk junk but I have no problem working at a second job to support myself and already have a office at home to start out.

My question is, which company would most likely appointment. (not much savings and not the greatest credit rating due to medical issues)?

I appreciate any comments ... good or bad :)

I am in SC and studying up to take the P&C test shortly. I want to start out as an independent on my own. I know people are gonna talk junk but I have no problem working at a second job to support myself and already have a office at home to start out.

My question is, which company would most likely appointment. (not much savings and not the greatest credit rating due to medical issues)?

I appreciate any comments ... good or bad :)

Where in SC are you? Are you near the NC border?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Honestly, as someone who has helped a person do this in NC, here is what matters: A book of business and a business plan. If you are working with another indy then get the appointments and learn the carriers that you need for YOUR business plan.

Carriers are more willing to appoint you if you have a book already with them and spinning off another agency, as long as you had a decent production record and there isn't a reason to think that will decrease. Safeco, IMO, is ALWAYS a good choice to have. I don't know about others in the area. Most companies aside from the non-standards will need you to have a book or be a part of a cluster. There is no quick, cheap, and easy way to do this. You usually get 2 out of the 3. So go join a cluster if you want your own appointments that are easier to get and pay money/comp reduction, or go be in the indy's agency and get REAL training then do it on your own.

Last edited:
I am actually in Columbia but contemplating on moving to the Florence/Darlington area in the near future. Where in NC are you?

Where in SC are you? Are you near the NC border?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Honestly, as someone who has helped a person do this in NC, here is what matters: A book of business and a business plan. If you are working with another indy then get the appointments and learn the carriers that you need for YOUR business plan.

Carriers are more willing to appoint you if you have a book already with them and spinning off another agency, as long as you had a decent production record and there isn't a reason to think that will decrease. Safeco, IMO, is ALWAYS a good choice to have. I don't know about others in the area. Most companies aside from the non-standards will need you to have a book or be a part of a cluster. There is no quick, cheap, and easy way to do this. You usually get 2 out of the 3. So go join a cluster if you want your own appointments that are easier to get and pay money/comp reduction, or go be in the indy's agency and get REAL training then do it on your own.

I am actually in Columbia but contemplating on moving to the Florence/Darlington area in the near future. Where in NC are you?

Charlotte area.

The reason I ask is if you are near the NC area then we can try to work something out if you don't mind doing a drive. I do P&C and L&H and have licenses in NC and SC so I have some decent carriers to use. I'm looking for a SC producer since I have someone in NC.

PM me when you get some more posts as I don't want to turn this into a recruiting thread or anything like that.

Bojmir where in PA?

I would say for your situation you can consider something like writing business through friends IA as you establish you own IA. Work out a deal once you have a few carriers to be able to take those clients with you. If the agent doesn't allow it you should reqest that you get a good payout and renewal and have his agency service the account as well.

hope this helps

Back