Breaking Out of the Cube

ewilkins

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Can someone tell me if I'm looking at insurance sales through rose colored glasses? I am seeking a position where I can break out of "cubicle hell" so to speak. In other words, I want to be able to go out and about and speak with customers. I do not want to spend every working hour behind a desk.

Suggestions on companies? Thoughts? Advice?

Depends on what you're looking to sell. With P&C yes, just about everything else, no.

Why do you want to get out of the cubicle?

Depends on what you're looking to sell. With P&C yes, just about everything else, no.

Why do you want to get out of the cubicle?

That's interesting to know. Thanks for the info. As far as the cube, I've done it for many years and it just drains me for some reason. I don't mind it some, but just not for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Plus I like to interact with people a bit more. Hard to explain I guess.

That's interesting to know. Thanks for the info. As far as the cube, I've done it for many years and it just drains me for some reason. I don't mind it some, but just not for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Plus I like to interact with people a bit more. Hard to explain I guess.

Nah, I get it. Some folks quit good paying jobs in pursuit of the grass that's greener and often times they're doing it for the wrong reason.

Selling insurance means going in business for yourself. Folks don't think about it like that as often as they should, but you're starting a business. That's a lot more headache and aggravation than a lot of cubicle dwellers can handle, even if they hate the cubicle.

I've hated any cubicle job I've ever had with a passion. It truly was about being stuck in the cubicle, not the job itself. I had 100X more fun waiting tables than any cubicle job lol.

Find the products you believe in and would purchase yourself. I've never known many sales people that could sell something they didn't believe in.

Learn your product and sell your product. I've known many agents over the years that spent most of their time running down their competition. All that really tells the potential client is that you don't have a lot of confidence in your own product.

People buy to help improve their position. If you can show them how your product makes their life better, they will do business with you. If you try to sell thinking of your commission, times will be tough.

Lastly, put the blinders on and don't look left, right, up, or back. Just keep your head down and look at the path you have set out for yourself. You'll come across a mark one day and realize you have made it.

Nah, I get it. Some folks quit good paying jobs in pursuit of the grass that's greener and often times they're doing it for the wrong reason.

Selling insurance means going in business for yourself. Folks don't think about it like that as often as they should, but you're starting a business. That's a lot more headache and aggravation than a lot of cubicle dwellers can handle, even if they hate the cubicle.

Hey Josh, your answer just gave me EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I want to break out of the cube and there's nothing I want more than to be in business for myself. ;)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've hated any cubicle job I've ever had with a passion. It truly was about being stuck in the cubicle, not the job itself. I had 100X more fun waiting tables than any cubicle job lol.

I agree with you 100%. There have been times in the past where I had even considered doing road work or becoming an auto tech to get me out of the cube. I can't wait to rake in enough business to go full-time with insurance. I'm about to start producing for Farmer's to learn the ropes but you can bet as soon as I go full-time, the cube life is over for me.

Last edited:
Back