Breaking Up Group Health Plans

ABC

Guru
1000 Post Club
With the health care laws full implementation right around the corner the game is about to change.

I have current case that is looking at dropping group coverage on 37 employees. With PT's they would be over the 50 EE mark.

They have had 2 very bad claims years. 200% loss ratios and now getting crushed with a 32% rate increase with a projected loss ratio of 1,000%. 2014 most small group plans will get hit with at least a 32% for QHP, Community rating, & essential.

If they do drop, then we will look at insuring everyone on Individual plans. About half will qualify for Medicaid. Of the 18 remaining, about 12 with get through underwriting on an Individual plan.

Now in 2014 they would all qualify under an exchange plan. Once the comp is determined on the exchange, instead of placing 12 lives I would be looking at 37. Huge difference.

This group has crunched the number with the future penalty and a defined contribution. It is still 80K cheaper for them to drop.

These type of situations will become even more common than what they are now.

Just knowing the health problems of group plan members, I wouldn't be surprised to see this be the trend. The amount of health problems out there is truly staggering.

I have had a lot of trouble this year finding folks that can qualify for major med. Most have COBRA expiring and can't make it through underwriting.

There have always been challenges like this, but I swear it seems like the unhealthy folks are coming out of the woodwork.

I am seeing the same things.

This group is perfect example of what will happen in 2014. The difference is there will be GI. If I could write all 37 on an individual plat form they will add up quick. I think one that works, could put 1,000 lives on the books within one year.

Then think about a 3 year run.

When these small groups drops, this is going to open the door to much higher ancillary sales. It will be common to see groups of 10 lives with a DI, Life, Vision, & Dental.

Back