Broker versus Agent

Randy Foulds

Expert
This question comes up from time to time. In California, I am a licensed Agent. Yet I work on behalf of the insurance buyer, my client. I am not a captive agent, yet I cant be called a broker. California does not really recognize the term broker as any different than and agent in their licensing.

What do you consider yourself and does your state recognize the difference?

This question comes up from time to time. In California, I am a licensed Agent. Yet I work on behalf of the insurance buyer, my client. I am not a captive agent, yet I cant be called a broker. California does not really recognize the term broker as any different than and agent in their licensing.

I honestly don't use either term. I call myself a health insurance advisor.

There really is no such thing as a broker when it comes to the life and health side of insurance. It's a term that is used much like "Final Expense".

I'm not sure, but there may be a "broker" term for the P&C side.

Moreover though, brokers are those that deal with securities.

NY has both broker and agent licenses. You can't appoint with a carrier if you only have a broker license.

Other states have "consultant" type licenses as well.

If you stopped people on the street and asked them if they know the difference, do you think they'd know?

NY has both broker and agent licenses. You can't appoint with a carrier if you only have a broker license.

Other states have "consultant" type licenses as well.

If you stopped people on the street and asked them if they know the difference, do you think they'd know?
not a chance. Customer only cares about what companies you represent, the cost of your services, and how much the product you sell costs. Titles are meaningless

Back