Building Rapport With Clients

KTAmerilife3

Hello community,

I am rather young (24) and sell Med Supps/ Life Insurance mostly to seniors. I am struggling to build rapport with clients. Occasionally I can find a similar topic to talk about and bond over. Most other agents I have gone on appointments with are much older can talk about vacations, their kids, their house, etc.

My questions are:

How do you build rapport with clients?
Do you have any go to topics?

Any tips would be appreciated!

While it is helpful to have some common ground, you can still do it without the experience. Just concentrate on them and not what you have experienced. For instance, they love to talk about their grandchildren. You were probably a grandchild yourself, so you can relate to their grandkids and the antics they might be up to. There is a way to make that connection.

Another way is just to ask them about some of the experiences they've had in their life. Talk about how long they were married, how long they might have been in the house, etc. You can come up with things, just think about it.

While it is helpful to have some common ground, you can still do it without the experience. Just concentrate on them and not what you have experienced. For instance, they love to talk about their grandchildren. You were probably a grandchild yourself, so you can relate to their grandkids and the antics they might be up to. There is a way to make that connection.

Another way is just to ask them about some of the experiences they've had in their life. Talk about how long they were married, how long they might have been in the house, etc. You can come up with things, just think about it.

Good stuff there. Afterall it should be about them not us.

Listen! Listen! Listen! Two ears, one mouth.

This is very helpful, thank you!!

3 types of people, auditory, they respond best to what they hear. Visual,respond best to what they see and kinesthetic, respond best to what they feel.
Ask questions and listen don't talk. Take notes. Each type uses words that tell their primary learning mode. They use hearing words =Auditory etc.
Try to mimic their body language without appearing obvious, they sit back you sit back,they cross arms be clever and cross your legs. don't ask questions that can be answered with a yes or a no..
Best thing to do take a NLP class or something similar

Ask questions designed to get them talking about themselves. Then when they tell a story, ask more questions. The problem I had as a young agent was this feeling that I had to tell a story back to show how much I can relate. Now that I'm an old agent, I realize that most of the time they don't care about my stories! So let them (even help them) talk about themselves. Some of what you learn by listening might help make the sale. Some of what you learn might help you with life! Oh, one story in response might be great if you have a genuine affinity, like you're both fans of the same sports team, etc. But you can waste a lot of time on "rapport building" if you start trading stories.
One other thing I always tell young agents is to be careful not to presume familiarity with an older client unless invited to do so. In other words, be absolutely respectful and deferential (yet still controlling the interview). Call them Mr. & Mrs. Jones, not "Sam & Mary".

Hello community,

I am rather young (24) and sell Med Supps/ Life Insurance mostly to seniors. I am struggling to build rapport with clients. Occasionally I can find a similar topic to talk about and bond over. Most other agents I have gone on appointments with are much older can talk about vacations, their kids, their house, etc.

My questions are:

How do you build rapport with clients?
Do you have any go to topics?

Any tips would be appreciated!

You are young and inexperienced
I am old and experienced
I would gladly trade you.

Back