Building Relationships

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
So I am about 1 1/2 years into my new career as an insurance agent. And on several different occasions now I have come to a point in my relationships with my clients where I find my self saying "I want to build these relationships, but I want remain professional at the same time, and still, I do not want to become emotionally attached to these people."
The reason why I want keep the emotion out of it are two-fold:

1) This is business. Emotion does not belong in any business decisions. Emotion just clouds judgement. (to be clear I mean on our behalf, not the clients behalf. I understand it is our job to stir up emotion during a sale)

2) As I am significantly younger than the target market I work (the medicare crowd) I am sure I will see all of my clientele at some point die off. Keeping the emotion out of it, is also just to keep me sane.

So, the reason I bring this up is, one of my clients became a widow this weekend. I feel the human thing is to send my condolences (maybe send flowers, or call her?) But at the same time, if I did this, it would be breaking my rules. But, if I did, I feel it would be a great way to continue building the relationship.

So I ask the veteran professionals here, how do yall deal with situations like this? Do yall allow yourselves to get emotionally attached to your clients, or do you have a strict rule to keep it as much of a business relationship as possible, and let them deal with personal stuff on their own?

-On a side note: she is a medicare client of mine, and that is it. no life insurance is involved. And he (the now deceased) did not have a policy with me.

In my opinion, you are over thinking it. Which is okay because most people in the world don't think at all. lol

Go with your heart, and your gut. If you feel like sending a card, or flowers then do it. We are all going to die someday, so would you rather know some great people along the way, or just say, "yep, another client i didn't know, died." I think life is more fun and worth living by putting yourself out there and doing what you want to do.

This business is about being helpful, money, and relationships. Work on those three and it will treat you right.

Lastly, doesn't that clients death make you wanna at least offer Life Insurance to every client going forward?

Good Luck.

I don't worry about that separation. While I don't push trying to befriend clients, I have clients who have become friends and like when that happens. I have attended client funerals, though I often learn of the death after service has passed. I also try to reciprocate by becoming a client of theirs. I wrote a med supp on a T65 who owns a print shop. He now gets all my printing jobs. My barber was a client first, as was my mortgage lender and real estate agent. I'm 12-20 years younger than most clients. I've not encountered any downside that would make me reconsider and they are my best referrers.

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

All sales are emotional in nature. If you think it is based on logic, then you have a lot of emotion invested in that point of view. :)

Insurance - particularly anything with Life, Health & Annuity - is all emotional in nature.

Emotional 'attachment' is natural in this business. What you don't want is emotional co-dependency or any other kind of 'dependency' that is too distracting to your business.

Nothing wrong with sending flowers. I don't go that for, for cost reasons...it would get expensive (I've had about 20 clients pass away in the past 2 years). I have sent a couple cards, the rest have either done nothing or given my condolences the next time I saw their spouse or family.
Honestly, really is no wrong move in this situation.

I always send a card with a personal note.
I think flowers is over doing( expense-wise).
What happens when another client dies where you don't want to send flowers- gets complicated and clients talk.
Send a sympathy card- right thing to do and enough.

As others have said go with your gut. I have closer relationships with some clients than others.

We have send large arrangements to some, cards to others and nothing to others.

As a note, I send them as Lee and Lisa. Not as a business.

I have pretty close relationships with some clients. I got a call a few days ago from a client I could tell was crying on the message. She had suffered a few loses in the last few months and just needed someone one to talk to. I called her back and spent close to an hour listening to her. I spend more time going to breakfast or on this forum. I can spend an hour listening to someone.

Do what your gut tells you.

Back