Business Basics in Insurance

Jess

Expert
I know this may sound a little dumb but I just got into insurance and I have no experience at all, even from a professional setting type of job. I am trying I guess to figure out how you are supposed act with a job where you have to walk in and try to talk to business owners. I have no idea how to write a professional email or how to approach or hold a conversation with business people. Maybe I am just not professional enough, I have no idea what that means...

What I am asking is how to act professionally so people will take you seriously and how to write emails or make calls that are meant for important people.

All of this is for the insurance field so any tips would be enormously helpful since I have no real training in business and I am practically running my own...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If there is anyone out there that might have the time to help or mentor me via email, I would be so grateful. I want to succeed in this so bad but I have no idea where the path to success starts in this type of business. I could really use the help of someone who knows what they are doing...

Last edited:
I know this may sound a little dumb but I just got into insurance and I have no experience at all, even from a professional setting type of job. I am trying I guess to figure out how you are supposed act with a job where you have to walk in and try to talk to business owners. I have no idea how to write a professional email or how to approach or hold a conversation with business people. Maybe I am just not professional enough, I have no idea what that means...

What I am asking is how to act professionally so people will take you seriously and how to write emails or make calls that are meant for important people.

All of this is for the insurance field so any tips would be enormously helpful since I have no real training in business and I am practically running my own...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If there is anyone out there that might have the time to help or mentor me via email, I would be so grateful. I want to succeed in this so bad but I have no idea where the path to success starts in this type of business. I could really use the help of someone who knows what they are doing...

Well, your post is much better written than some of those offered by the "professional" agents that post on the forum. Don't think you have a problem there.

As far as "acting professional", it starts with treating the people you approach with courtesy and respect.. From your post, I don't think you have a lot to worry about in that area either..

Quit worrying about being "professional", learn a product and go out and talk to folks about it. You'll do fine, if you aren't fearful of being told no as most of us hear many more nos that yeses.. But the yeses make the nos worthwhile ..good luck.

Not that it matters in context to this post, but what are you planning to sell? Are you captive? Starting out independent?

I am independent just starting out. I work with both AFLAC and Colonial Life. Seems stupid because they are both the same thing pretty much, but I am allowed to work for both and both know about it and I need to figure out what works best for me.

I do enrollments at Colonial Life and I am just an agent at AFLAC

As far as being professional goes...have confidence in yourself and you will be just fine!! Don't worry about walking in somewhere and saying something stupid...we've all done it! But you will learn from your mistakes and the next time you walk in somewhere you won't say the same silly thing again. Same goes for email.

We all have to start somewhere in order to get where we are going. :yes:

Best of luck!:)

Jess,

I think with any independent sales gig, knowing your product (both its strengths and potential weaknesses) is huge! Nothing feels as "unprofessional" as asking someone a basic question about what they are selling and getting a blank stare in response. If you confidently know your stuff, you'll do fine!

Jess,

I think with any independent sales gig, knowing your product (both its strengths and potential weaknesses) is huge! Nothing feels as "unprofessional" as asking someone a basic question about what they are selling and getting a blank stare in response. If you confidently know your stuff, you'll do fine!

Thank you for the advise!

Don't be nervous in front of a business owner. You have to know the product and all that jazz but confidence is always your best asset. You have to basically exude a confidence level that says to the prospect you need me more than I need you. If they sniff out the opposite you are dead in the water.

Back