Business Cards Are Screwing Up My Callbacks

campbella72

I don't have much nice to say about business cards because the most prominent thing on my business card is my firm logo and so I'm thinking that the person I give a card to will likely remember the big agency name and not mine, even though I was the one they engaged with first. It's hard to think about all the cards I share (upon request) at a networking event....and no direct calls to me. :(

If they call in they won't ask for me anyway because all they can remember is the company logo.

Has anyone else had that experience?
Thanks
Bella

Where to start on this one...

1) Business cards have contact information. They are usually poor marketing tools - especially if you're with a large major insurance company.

2) If you are relying on people to call you back... you'll be waiting a long time. You need to be the proactive and politely persistent person.

3) You don't have a business card problem. You have a prospecting skills gap and differentiation problem.

4) Handing a person a business card is a great way to be sure they don't call you. (Great for getting out of a meeting with a non-qualified or non-interested prospect.)

Where to start on this one...

1) Business cards have contact information. They are usually poor marketing tools - especially if you're with a large major insurance company.

2) If you are relying on people to call you back... you'll be waiting a long time. You need to be the proactive and politely persistent person.

3) You don't have a business card problem. You have a prospecting skills gap and differentiation problem.

4) Handing a person a business card is a great way to be sure they don't call you. (Great for getting out of a meeting with a non-qualified or non-interested prospect.)

Thanks for your feedback.
I also think that because the logo is so prominent they remember the company and not me. Any thoughts on that?

Not sure where you are networking, but it takes about 6 months of consistent attendance before the people are going to remember you. Or your card.

Its not about how many cards you pass out. Its about how many cards you get, how many people you email and/or call within 48 hours and how many people you do a coffee meeting with.

The best place to learn about networking is at BNI. You may not get a lot of business from it, but its well worth the investment of time, money and energy. Including the training. 15 years later, I still use a lot of what I learned during 3 years at BNI.

I don't have much nice to say about business cards because the most prominent thing on my business card is my firm logo and so I'm thinking that the person I give a card to will likely remember the big agency name and not mine, even though I was the one they engaged with first. It's hard to think about all the cards I share (upon request) at a networking event....and no direct calls to me. :(

If they call in they won't ask for me anyway because all they can remember is the company logo.

Has anyone else had that experience?
Thanks
Bella

Order some magnets for business cards from Amazon. Put your business cards on them. People will be less likely to throw away a refrigerator magnet than a business card. Next time you order business cards, make your name larger so they notice your name instead of your company's logo. Business cards are inexpensive at Vistaprint and you can design your own.:yes:

Thanks for your feedback.
I also think that because the logo is so prominent they remember the company and not me. Any thoughts on that?

If you're talking about the company, they'll remember the company.

If you're talking about THEM and the problems you help people solve, they'll remember you.

(But I still wouldn't expect them to call you.)

Not sure where you are networking, but it takes about 6 months of consistent attendance before the people are going to remember you. Or your card.

Its not about how many cards you pass out. Its about how many cards you get, how many people you email and/or call within 48 hours and how many people you do a coffee meeting with.

The best place to learn about networking is at BNI. You may not get a lot of business from it, but its well worth the investment of time, money and energy. Including the training. 15 years later, I still use a lot of what I learned during 3 years at BNI.

Thank you. I will look into local BNI.

Good thread! There's a common sense way to position the role of the business card, by putting ourselves in the shoes of the receiver. A business card has no ability to add value to a relationship. By itself it will NEVER generate a call.

A call only happens because we are actively interested in the value -- as we remember that value -- being offered by the provider of the business card. In networking, the odds are close to zilch that enough value has been communicated to generate an active prospect (in less than the multiple months mentioned by KGMom). It is possible to communicate reasons that a cup of coffee would be a good investment of time...a chance to continue the discussion and explore the goals and challenges you might be able to address.

Unless there's been a positive value-based discussion with some spark of interest in the recipient, a frugal person could reasonably save the cost of the business card. It'll go directly into that black hole we all have somewhere (top dresser drawer, top right desk drawer?) where business cards go to die.

If the company logo doesn't add value to your business card then you are working for the wrong company.

If your business card doesn't have YOUR direct number on it, then you need to throw them out.

If you think people will call you just because you handed them your business card, you need a new marketing plan.

Always assume it is YOUR job to call the person, not theirs to call you. You'll have a LOT more conversations that way.

Dan

Unless there's been a positive value-based discussion with some spark of interest in the recipient, a frugal person could reasonably save the cost of the business card. .

Exactly what I do. If I value prop someone and they express mild interest I ask to follow up. If they do any variation of "I will call YOU when I'm interested or I have YOUR number here, or I'll give it to other people"

I politely ask for my card back. It's easy, circular logic. If you call I will have your number, if you dont want me to have your number then you wont call.

Waste of a card.

Back