Business Name

jn8691mr

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
For those of you who are one man shops ... What's on your business cards? I've been using my first and last name financial services ... For example, John Smith Financial Services ... I'm wondering if people think it's better dealing with a "company" .... Like if I had Main Line Financial Services or American Financial Services (just two random names off the top of my head) would that sound more "official"?

Thoughts?

First check with your state that you can use the words "Financial Services"? Some states don't allow that in the title and it can be a huge hassle to comply.

Got to admit you're giving it more thought than I did when I started about 30 years ago. My business name came when the phone company asked me the name of my business that they would bill under....

Thus "Gilmore Insurance Services" was born. Wish I had a better story.

What ever you choose, make sure it's ok with the people that can fine you or make you repurchases all you letterhead and business cards.

Exactly.

Search your state DOI website for DBA guidelines, because your state has to approve you doing business in any other name, if you're not already using your full first and last name in your agency name.

If you're using your full first and last name, you don't need to file a DBA, but the rest of it still has to be in compliance.

This is California's guidelines as a reference:
Business Entity Frequently Asked Questions

In California, you need to explicitly state the word "insurance".
CDI then checks to make sure one of the six definitive words ("Agency," "Services," "Marketing," "Sales", "Center" or "Solutions") is also included in the name.

For me, I've chosen David Kinder Insurance and Financial Solutions as my company name. It's completely compliant, emphasizes that I sell solutions, and that I'm in the insurance business.

Now, this is just for marketing purposes. I don't have checks made payable to that name, or I'd have to have a business banking account to accept those checks.

Now, as I grow, I may want to change the name to something that could be part of a succession plan, but for now, this works.

Back