Buying Health Insurance Outside the Open Enrollment ?

HealthInsNation

U.S.
Will lower cost underwritten Major Med plans be available outside of open enrollment for a decent price that don't conform with he ACA? Or, will it be a Limited Medical frenzy for the rest of the year for people that don't have special elections?

Thanks for the factual answers if you know.

Thanks for the help -

I guess I should ask if there has been any news that any carriers are still going to offer underwritten plans?

For example, will Golden Rule sell a 12k/10k 70/30 Co-pay Select plan underwritten outside open enrollment, even though it wont satisfy the tax exemption for having health insurance.

Or is that to been seen where the carriers see there is a demand and then we'll have a whole new type of limited medical plan looking like a plan today with riders, exclusions etc?? ( limited medical meaning non-ACA )

Sorry - ACA = Affordable Care Act or PPACA ( Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act )

There is nothing AFFORDABLE about this piece of garbage.

Hey Somarco,
Would it be legal for a US citizen to go to say Grand Cayman and buy a limited benefit plan that would cover them in the US and or Abroad?

I figured if anybody would know about a loophole you might.

Will lower cost underwritten Major Med plans be available outside of open enrollment for a decent price that don't conform with he ACA? Or, will it be a Limited Medical frenzy for the rest of the year for people that don't have special elections?

Thanks for the factual answers if you know.

HIN, many of your questions will be answered by reading a prior, recent thread discussing this topic. Here's a link to it: http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...m/can-buy-q-h-plans-365-days-year-t55932.html

Also, please keep in mind that the "Search" function of this forum is very useful and powerful. It's a great tool for newer and experienced members/agents to get answers. Good luck!
ac

Hey Somarco,
Would it be legal for a US citizen to go to say Grand Cayman and buy a limited benefit plan that would cover them in the US and or Abroad?

I figured if anybody would know about a loophole you might.

If you are talking about plans for international travelers and expats, those plans typically have limited coverage in your home country. By limited, I mean limited by time. You might be able to be covered for a few weeks out of the year in your home country.

My guess is that one would be better off with a non compliant catastrophic plan, but that is just a guess since I haven't looked at any of those plans.

Neither option would help someone avoid a tax penalty.

Wouldnt it be more affordable to buy a policy off the exchange and just pay the tax penalty? From what I understand your more likely to go bankrupt from the bronze plans oop combined with the subsidized premium

Back