Buying Two Consecutive Insurances - Pre-existing Conditions

Leonor

I want to purchase a Student Exchange Health Insurance for 3600 $ (I am staying in USA for 8 months with my dependent) but my credit card doesn't have enough daily limit (it cannot be raised). The customer support of the Health Insurance company advised me to buy two consecutive policies (for 2 x 4 months) but cannot verify if the pre-existing conditions (minimal waiting period 6 months) reset after the second policy comes to the effect or not. Bear in mind that the University I am going to work at has a very strict policy regarding pre-existing conditions.Thanks!
Leonor

Pre existing conditions apply to Short Term Medical vs. Major Medical in the US since the Affordable Care Act (ACA) was passed.

I've worked with a few clients whom have children attending various colleges and the university policies from what I've been able to tell are Major Medical with High deductible plans. Very similar if not exactly the same as the Catastrophic plans that are available.

Here's a link to one of the plans I've come across: FSU plan

This said, does the University offer a monthly payment plan?

I just handled a case like this yesterday. When I was at UofO the Aetna student plan was a short term policy. Since then those Aetna student plans seem to have been made ACA compliant as there would be no other reason to include pediatric dental in the campus plan otherwise.

If pre-existing conditions are not covered the plan is definitely not major medical. Contact an agent and go over your options.

I generally don't like STM policies because situations change and the term runs out without creating a SEP. By definition the insured doesn't expect to have any covered claims in the Short Term and are buying it just in case. They will have claims in the long term and I prefer a HDHP which is permanent. As always, it is ultimately the client's decision but they need a bailout strategy in case they have just left the hospital when the coverage ends..

Most short term med continues to cover conditions diagnosed during the plan's term for up to 3 months after the plan ends.

Most short term med continues to cover conditions diagnosed during the plan's term for up to 3 months after the plan ends.

Some do and then the insured can still be without coverage. I've seen too many things go wrong to use STM as a first choice when permanent is available. I prefer permanent if it's available. That way they're not relying on expected new permanent coverage that may not take effect.

Suppose they leave 1 employer, take short term expecting to go to another employer then become disabled or job doesn't finalize. They'd be SOL until open enrollment. y job is to keep people covered not 'probably' covered.

Some do and then the insured can still be without coverage. I've seen too many things go wrong to use STM as a first choice when permanent is available. I prefer permanent if it's available. That way they're not relying on expected new permanent coverage that may not take effect.

Suppose they leave 1 employer, take short term expecting to go to another employer then become disabled or job doesn't finalize. They'd be SOL until open enrollment. y job is to keep people covered not 'probably' covered.
Most plans I see are good for 11 months... That goes to oep anytime after Feb.

Last edited:
Back