CA accident! At fault...problems with Insurance

John Gorden

Accident took place in Nor Cal on Freeway...I was at fault
I was driving a rental car from a major company in my name.

I have been in the rental for more than 45 days.

I had a non owners policy which only includes liability.

I got a notice saying that my coverage was denied because I had been in the rental for more than 30 days.

With this being said whats next?
I already know Im going to end up buying the crashed car that is owner by the rental company (it will be a total), I have yet to see the bill from person I hit..but I will have to cover that now apparently...

What are my options?
Im a single parent who works for near minimum wage, with zero assets...what will happen...I feel horrible about this and I do everything I can to get by already....

Why would you rent a vehicle for that length of time and not purchase a beater? You will most likely be billed for the # of days lost by the rental company for the wrecked car, repairs to the vehicle you hit, the medical liability for anyone in the vehicle. I am guessing loss of license since you will not be able to cover the cost of the accident and you will be sued by the occupants of the vehicle you hit and lose a judgement on that case so have court payments and garnishment for years to come.

I'll refrain from piling on, as this is definitely a "What were you thinking?!?" moment.

Frankly, I'd talk to a bankruptcy attorney. I'm not aware of the rules in California, but you may be able to have any judgments against you dismissed in bankruptcy.

Ultimately you have the "blood from a turnip" defense as it sounds like you have no assets and minimal income from which to garnish wages. They'll probably get their judgments, and then filing bankruptcy may or may not be your best option.

What are my options?
Im a single parent who works for near minimum wage, with zero assets...what will happen

What will happen is that you will owe a ton of money. Probably $25K and up for the rental car if you didn't buy the collision damage waiver and it's anybody's guess how much the other party's damage and injury will cost you.

Bankruptcy might be your only option. Meantime, don't admit to anything and don't pay anything to anybody.

I suggest you talk to a bankruptcy attorney now so you can prepare for (and save up for) the eventuality.

Back