CA "Business Entity" License name question

T in CA

Expert
Anyone familiar with CA Department of Insurance naming of business entities? I have through the website several times and just want to be sure I understand.

I am setting up a new LLC. Do I need to make sure it's name complies with "definitive words", etc...? Or should I simply apply for a DBA which complies. I would prefer this, but just want to make sure it's kosher.

Any thoughts/insights/advice appreciated!

T in CA

Yes, it is. Think about it: Anybody can name an LLC (or DBA) anything they want. As long as their marketing name (whatever it happens to be) complies with the requirements, you should be fine.

Yes, it is. Think about it: Anybody can name an LLC (or DBA) anything they want. As long as their marketing name (whatever it happens to be) complies with the requirements, you should be fine.
Thanks!

We had to go through the process because we use the word insurance... the process sucks... I would to do over again, use insurance in my tagline rather than in the entity. I e The Horizon Group LLC. Doing business as The Horizon Group. On ads and cards it would say, The Horizon Group. "Insurance Made Simple" or something along those lines.

FYI that name is just made up.

The public has to be able to differentiate between an insurance company/carrier vs an insurance agent/agency. If the public cannot, the regulators will not approve the name.

Changed a while back as well... I had Rocky Mountain West Insurance Agency... but got notice a couple Yeats ago my initial denial for Rocky Mountain West Insurance LLC would be acceptable so we dropped the agency and are currently Rocky Mountain West Insurance in CA

Back