CA Health Insurance Options for Male Age 25

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hello,

I am in senior market so I don't do individual health. I was asked for help from a 25 year old attorney that I know.

Here is the situation:

Age 25 male just moved to CA from Texas a few months ago, zip 95129 and wants health insurance as he has health net through moms work and is now "out of network". The coverage also ends after age 25 in august according to him.

His health:

He was diagnosed less than 2 months ago w/ lumbar spinal stenosis - a progressive and chronic back condition in which the spinal canal narrows and touches the nerves going into your legs. It causes weakness in the legs (difficulty standing), radiating waves of pain down the legs, chronic stiffness and pain in the lower back. It is not pleasant, to say the least, and eventually can cause difficulty controlling bladder and bowel functions. As for the immediate future, probable treatments will be a series of steroid injections in the area to try and combat the inflammation.

He already had 1 of these a month ago, w/ no results. His doctor in Texas recommends another 1 be done in a different area, but obviously he is in TX, network is in TX, and he is in CA, so for right now all treatments are on hold indefinitely. If the steroid injections fail to provide any relief, the next step, as he understand it, is to go in and install a morphine pump in the affected area.

If that doesn't work, the next option is to go in and cauterize/block off the nerve roots.

If THAT doesn't work, the final step is full-blown back surgery, called a lumbar laminectomy, in which they remove the bone/disc that is pressing against the nerves. He also got some measure of relief from a chiropracter he saw a month ago, and will probably continue to try and seek treatment from a chiropracter.

Medications:

The only prescription he is taking right now is Celebrex, a pricy anti-inflammatory drug. His current insurance plan pays 100% of generics but 0% for name--brand drugs, so his family has been paying for it out-of-pocket. The only other potential medications that he is likely to take in the future are painkillers like hydrocodone, oxycodone, or morphine. These are all generics, though and pretty cheap according to him.

1. What are his options if anything?

2. I am assuming he would need some sort of guarantee issue if that exists and qualified?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for the response.

This guy is uninsurable through normal channels.
Is his current HealthNet coverage HMO or PPO?

I am not sure, I will ask him. How might that impact this situation?

Is he eligible for COBRA?

What is the eligibility requirements for COBRA? costs? how long it lasts?

If so, elect COBRA

If not,

http://www.mrmib.ca.gov/MRMIB/MRMIPBRO.pdf
or
PCIP.gov - State Plans

Does an agent get compensated for helping with either of these plans?

Thanks again!

MRMIP = $50 one time
PCIP.gov-

Is he eligible for COBRA?

I don't know if he is eligible for COBRA yet, waiting for him to get back to me with that info.

Does this look like a situation that a person would be eligible for COBRA?

Does COBRA apply now that he has moved from TX to CA?

Will he be able to use the network here in CA under COBRA?

How much more does COBRA typically cost?

How long does it last in a situation like this one?

(Is he considered aging out as a dependent?)

I noticed there are no prices or info on the Obama plans, does that mean a person must wait until October to enroll and/or get premium rates?

Thanks again!

Does this look like a situation that a person would be eligible for COBRA?
Yes. If mothers employer employed 20+ ee's, Federal COBRA applies. I believe in Texas, state COBRA for less than 20 ee's is only 6 months? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Does COBRA apply now that he has moved from TX to CA?
yes
Will he be able to use the network here in CA under COBRA?
Is his coverage HMO or PPO?
How much more does COBRA typically cost?
$200 to $300/mo.
How long does it last in a situation like this one?
36 months for Federal COBRA. 6 months for Texas state COBRA.
(Is he considered aging out as a dependent?)
yep
I noticed there are no prices or info on the Obama plans, does that mean a person must wait until October to enroll and/or get premium rates?
Yep. Mail in your app BEFORE you see prices and benefits. This is how the US Government works.

Hello,

Thanks for those answers!

He wants to see a Dr. in CA, not TX as he lives here now, but according to him, he is "out of network".

With COBRA will he still be out of network in CA?

I was thinking whether PPO or HMO if he is out of network now, COBRA won't change that will it?

Thanks again!

As an attorney, why not have a small group plan? If he works by himself, he would need one employee. If he works for a group or partnership, they probably offer something.

Small group in california is guarantee issue.

I'm wondering if you are overlooking the obvious.

Dan

As an attorney, why not have a small group plan? If he works by himself, he would need one employee. If he works for a group or partnership, they probably offer something.

Small group in california is guarantee issue.

I'm wondering if you are overlooking the obvious.

Dan

I am not a health insurance guy, so nothing is really "obvious" to me at this point. He works in a small office, maybe 3 or 4 people. He is not the owner though.

Do you do this type of insurance?

If so I can refer him to you as I don't do this normally.

Thanks again!

Hello,

More details on this case:

Its a PPO plan. He is on COBRA now, b/c once he turned 25 he couldn't continue as a dependent. His insurance plan's network is all in Texas and he can't get access to doctors here in CA b/c the out-of-network "benefits" are still prohibitively expensive. The insurance will only cover up to 55% of costs, and there is an absolute limit on how much they will cover for out-of-network. He could be getting treatment no problem if he lived in Texas, but he can't get care here.

What are his best options based in this information?

I also don't think he is a good candidate for a group plan at his job as the other 3 or 4 employees have individual plans already or don't want coverage. Am I wrong here?

Thanks again!

Back