CA License Question

DavidShane

Besides not passing the state test what can stop you from getting a license in CA? I got a DUI almost 7 years ago that resulted in a conviction I think it may be a felony. Is this something they look at? I know they will not issue a license to someone with insurance fruad or other money related crimes Any info will be helpfull.

Thank you

If in doubt, call the department of insurance and ask them. A felony (not just a dui) won't necessarily stop a license from being issued, but will almost always require an explanation and a separate approval.

If you do have a felony that was completed 7 years ago, and all requirements are met, it's worth paying a lawyer to have this reduced and/or expunged.

If you have a felony, you'll have a bit of an uphill battle to get appointed with carriers. Isolated cases long enough ago, I think are still okay, just be ready to explain it every time. In short, it would take more work, but not stop you from being a successful agent.

Dan

I never thought about the fact that insurace carriers will look into the history of agents. I have been working with lawyer about having it reduced and expunged.

I never thought about the fact that insurace carriers will look into the history of agents

I think every appointment form I've ever filled out has asked about my background (in a very general sense). Let's see:

- Have you ever been convicted of insurance fraud?
- Have you ever committed insurance fraud, even if not convicted?
- Have you ever committed insurance fraud, and just got by with it, and don't want to tell us?
- Have you, in the last 10 years, been convicted of a felony that is not insurance fraud?

Okay, I paraphrased a bit.... They do ask the question, I'm sure they would want an explanation. I'm not sure what they would do with it after that. For the most part, if you are licensed, have your e&o insurance, you are probably set. As I mentioned, just be prepared to get a bit of pushback, and have to answer some extra questions.

Oh yeah, probably stick with life and health, no securities, and not P&C for a while. You can be appointed with some P&C carriers, but usually only as a producer for an agent, not as an agent directly.

Dan

Back