California Mudslides

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Are homes, cars and other property lost in the recent mudslides covered by propery insurance? Does CA have "special" coverage (such as flood insurance) that would be required before these kind of losses would be covered?

(Literally) asking for a friend.

My understanding is mudslide/landslide is not covered under home, flood (just "mudflow"), or earthquake insurance. I looked into it years ago and from what I could find there were some state-run programs in the Pacific NW that did landslide, but that is it. I'd be interested in knowing if this is changed.

Thanks.

Can you tell me the difference in a mudslide and mudflow?

Sounds like weasel language to avoid paying a claim.

Separate earthquake insurance makes sense.

Mudflows And Mudslides? It Makes A Difference To Insurers | FEMA.gov
Insurance for mudflows

Mudflow is basically very dirty/muddy water, while mudslide is more solid:

"To illustrate the difference between mudslides and mudflows, Moraga often uses a shovel filled with dirt. If he can tilt the shovel and the material is solid enough to remain in place, it is the type of dirt you will find in mudslides. If the material is liquid and runs off the tilted shovel, it is the type of dirt found in mudflows."

Thanks for your input.

I am not a P&C guy and have no idea what NFIP or DIC forms are but if Oprah can afford them they probably are out of reach for the average Joe.

But you guys have pretty much confirmed what I thought. Well, except for the mudslide vs mudflow. That one threw me.

I wonder though....if someone was covered for the fires will that same coverage cover for the mudslides since it was directly due to the wildfires to begin with? Maybe a stretch.

Fellas and gals, do we now know why people want to go to Law School? This whole thread is friggin ridiculous....imho
Needing to describe the verticality and horizontality flow of a specific mix ratio of earth and water and how it "destroys" lives and property is %$#@! ridiculous! So, people need to buy specific insurance for every single calamity instigated by mother or father nature, and the manner by which it causes this destruction? Is like saying the water didn't "wet enough", as recovering chemist, that is an actual statement used in formulating circles.....hence the use of surfactants, but let me not digress.....
You can take these ideas to an absurd level. Insurance is one of the greatest inventions of mankind (I truly mean that), but trying to "weasel" out of paying legitimate claims attempted to be circumvented by scummy verbiage is shameful!

So, people need to buy specific insurance for every single calamity instigated by mother or father nature, and the manner by which it causes this destruction?

Yes.

I have to have a separate rider on my insurance policy to cover the possibility of "flooding" coming from a backed up sewer line/drain.

Given people's propensities to build houses in floodplains or on the edges of cliffs, one cannot entirely blame the insurance companies.

Back