Calling AARP or other insurance companies to get a quote

Has anyone ever called AARP or any other insurance company to get a quote?

For instance if a daughter wants to call to get a quote for mommy dearest can she just call and ask for a quote and how to sign up. Does the daughter need to be licensed too? (maybe not cuz she is family) but what if it is just a neighbor helping out Mary Sue, does the neighbor need to be licensed to get the quote and help Mary Sue fill out the app?

I wonder is everyone who answers the phones at these companies licensed and also licensed in every single state the company is in?

If a person calls a funeral home to ask how much a funeral may cost, is that person licensed also in there field or can they just give ball park numbers?

Just curious.

You can be very certain that New York Life isn't going to risk their business by having non licensed people give out quotes. No way in hell is that happening.

The funeral thing, I have no clue.

You can be very certain that New York Life isn't going to risk their business by having non licensed people give out quotes. No way in hell is that happening.

The funeral thing, I have no clue.
So your saying or think that is is illegal for a non-licensed person to give quotes for the company they work for, aren't the quotes normally public information. I have it in good authority that if you are only giving a quote for 1 company you don't need to be licensed, if you are giving quotes for several you need to be because you are not advising and comparing, even though a friendly neighbor could do the same. It is when you fill out, sign, and submit application you need to be licensed etc. Question why would someone need to be licensed to ask someone else there address, or phone number?

You can call and give all the insurance advice you want without a license s long as you are not compensated for it. It is called "free speech".. :yes:

As Hoosier indicated, ANYONE can give a quote, answer questions, offer advice, etc and they do not have to be licensed. Feel free to ask any question you want. Just don't take their advice to the bank.

But if you want to buy you will be transferred to a licensed rep.

My response is just a ball park answer.

Don't take it to the bank.

One more thing.

AARP is not an insurance carrier . . .

As Hoosier indicated, ANYONE can give a quote, answer questions, offer advice, etc and they do not have to be licensed. Feel free to ask any question you want. Just don't take their advice to the bank.

But if you want to buy you will be transferred to a licensed rep.
I totally agree and that is the way many if not all Tele-Sales shops work.

I totally agree and that is the way many if not all Tele-Sales shops work.

Our opinion has always been, if you give a quote, you better be licensed in the state the client is in. We have prequalifiers who are basically telemarketers that only ask if customers are interested in the product, ask the client the knock out questions, and make sure they have a bank acct. And thats on an inbound TV lead.

We've been advised by the MO DOI, anything more than that would require a license. Like asking if they currently have life insurance, what they are paying, and sharing rates from any carrier.

Everyone in our customer service department is licensed. They probably dont need to be, but its better to be safe than sorry.

Our position has always been to be as compliant as possible since its not a matter of if you get a complaint, but when.

We've only had one in over 5 years, and thats tens of millions of premium. Knock on wood.

Our opinion has always been, if you give a quote, you better be licensed in the state the client is in. We have prequalifiers who are basically telemarketers that only ask if customers are interested in the product, ask the client the knock out questions, and make sure they have a bank acct. And thats on an inbound TV lead.

We've been advised by the MO DOI, anything more than that would require a license. Like asking if they currently have life insurance, what they are paying, and sharing rates from any carrier.

Everyone in our customer service department is licensed. They probably dont need to be, but its better to be safe than sorry.

Our position has always been to be as compliant as possible since its not a matter of if you get a complaint, but when.

We've only had one in over 5 years. Knock on wood.
For a big shop that has more too loose and higher potential for an issue I would agree 100%. Things change the bigger you get, you become more compliant for better or worse. Hell Direct TV and Dish started out autodialing like crazy for years and years, even after the laws changed, then all of sudden they were big enough and didn't have too.

For a big shop that has more too loose and higher potential for an issue I would agree 100%. Things change the bigger you get, you become more compliant for better or worse. Hell Direct TV and Dish started out autodialing like crazy for years and years, even after the laws changed, then all of sudden they were big enough and didn't have too.

Well, even when we where at 10% of our size currently, we still tried to be compliant, but you are right to a degree, we didn't necessarily know what that meant. We unequivocally know what compliance looks like now.

Back