Calling from a Home Office

Like many of you (probably) I do not have a physical office. I have to make my calls, do my paperwork, and everything else from my home office. Once I'm going, it's fine, but lately I'm finding all sorts of distractions to keep me from doing what I should be doing (like what in the world am I doing here on a Friday afternoon rather than calling?).

To those of you who work from home, how do you focus entirely on prospecting? Should I be going to the library and sitting in a cubicle, or sitting in my car, or just motivated enough to only do calls while I'm in my home office?

Help a brother out!

Like many of you (probably) I do not have a physical office. I have to make my calls, do my paperwork, and everything else from my home office. Once I'm going, it's fine, but lately I'm finding all sorts of distractions to keep me from doing what I should be doing (like what in the world am I doing here on a Friday afternoon rather than calling?).

To those of you who work from home, how do you focus entirely on prospecting? Should I be going to the library and sitting in a cubicle, or sitting in my car, or just motivated enough to only do calls while I'm in my home office?

Help a brother out!

I feel your pain!

It is just afternoon here and I am already gone mentaly.

The only thing that gets me moving again is setting some easy appointments. Client review/upgrade type. Once set I have to S..., Shower and Shave. And get dressed in big boy clothes. And mostly away from the internet. And Judge Judy.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I keep a nice Cabernet nearby and a clock. My motivation is to kill time before I kill the bottle.

It's always 5 o'clock somewhere.

Motivation comes from within, that's all on you. Is it possible its not motivation, but instead call reluctance?
Not so much a call reluctance thing, because I really do enjoy talking to people. Cold calling isn't exactly what I'd call a leisure activity, but I don't mind it.

Maybe I just have trouble getting in "the zone" sometimes, I dunno. I just know that I can't be the only one.

I keep a nice Cabernet nearby and a clock. My motivation is to kill time before I kill the bottle.

It's always 5 o'clock somewhere.

How did you know I live on Cabernet Way (seriously, I do). Of course, this means the wine cooler, properly set for cabs, is always ready to go!

Now, pop the cork on that cab and let it breath for a bit before consuming.

Dan

That's the key - just do it!

It took me a while to realize that the more I work, the better I feel. Sure, I can zone out and be lazy - but I feel guilty doing it, beat myself up later, and don't have any money for golf at the end of the day. I may be reluctant to start, but I feel GREAT when I do!

Home "officing" is a difficult proposition. I strive to work in blocks of time and not make excuses to deviate from that. There is always something trying to interrupt, so the number one rule of thumb is to discipline yourself to do that actual work-- not reshuffling papers or dawdling. Also, break up the day much the same as you would in an office-- take regular breaks and lunch. But, most of all, work smartly. If you are having trouble setting appointments (or whatever) don't let yourself slack until you meet your daily goals. You have to be your own coach.

Home "officing" is a difficult proposition. I strive to work in blocks of time and not make excuses to deviate from that. There is always something trying to interrupt, so the number one rule of thumb is to discipline yourself to do that actual work-- not reshuffling papers or dawdling. Also, break up the day much the same as you would in an office-- take regular breaks and lunch. But, most of all, work smartly. If you are having trouble setting appointments (or whatever) don't let yourself slack until you meet your daily goals. You have to be your own coach.
Spot on - perfect.

Back