Can a carrier pay an indie agent to write its business?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I know that lots of shady transactions go on in the MA world, but is this legal? Ex: A carrier puts in writing that it will pay $Xxx to produce XXX number of apps per month?

I know that lots of shady transactions go on in the MA world, but is this legal? Ex: A carrier puts in writing that it will pay $Xxx to produce XXX number of apps per month?

Why wouldn't it be legal?

If $Xxx is in addition to commissions, it's a sales bonus.

Nothing illegal about that.

Is there more to the story than you are telling?

“Should be” and CMS-compliant are different things- unfortunately.

I have an MGA contract with a large carrier and receive overrides. Carriers can reimburse marketing expenses if they wish. As long as the extra isn't labeled "commissions compliant with the limit that Humana lobbied CMS to pay us" you're good to go.

Rick

I have an MGA contract with a large carrier and receive overrides. Carriers can reimburse marketing expenses if they wish. As long as the extra isn't labeled "commissions compliant with the limit that Humana lobbied CMS to pay us" you're good to go.

Rick

Yes Rick, but you have an MGA contract. I'm talking about a "street level " agent. No Receipts necessary for marketing reimbursement required.

Allwell pays you an additional $50 on a mapd if you help the client complete their health assessment over the phone when you are leaving. It’s not a commission it’s a bonus

Back