Can a Lead Really Be Dead?

You spend money on a telemarketer?
Don't you just come to work and the telephone starting ringing with people wanting to buy?

Funny you mention that. I keep getting referrals from Chico. Seems there isn't a decent agent anywhere in that area.

Rick

I worked a lead yesterday that was dead. His wife sent it in so she could chew on me for mailing it to him to start with.

I have had clients to give me the old, "Call me back in a couple of months" thing. That's exactly what I do. I have had clients put me off for over a year and then decided to get serious with me. It's a timing thing.

I always worked the hell out of my leads and never considered it dead until they were or they told me not to call again. That's just me. I can't sit here and tell you that an agent who works the leads like JD is wrong. That's his style and it works for him. My style is different and it works for me. You have to find your style.

This! I've written leads 5+ years old by continuing to check in with them every so often. If they tell me to leave them alone I respect their request. If they keep putting me off I keep calling. How much effort is a minute phone call?

I didn't realize that "what do you do?" was a debate.

I thought he wanted experiences from producers on what do you do. Not from desk jockeys.

My sincerest apologies. I meant to type "isn't wrong" instead of "is wrong". I fixed that.

With that being said, I'll dismiss your attempt at being condescending to me as well.

Everything works. But the question is what works best.
I was that work your lead to death guy. I tracked them fown and hunted them until they "buy or die". I had a huge "prospect farm" of people who weren't sales today and they weren't no's. They were my qualified prospects. And I automated touching them four times per year with personalized mail and twice per year by phone. This worked great for what I was doing (preneed insurance for funeral homes) BECAUSE you have a VERY limited area to sell to. A limited number of prospects. So you don't give up on any of them unless you determine they are a hard no.
When I added FE and med sups in many years later I tried to approach them that same way. Does it work? Sure it does. You make sales. You sell some of them years after your 1st contact too.
BUT then I met Travis Tubbs. I thought he was nuts! He was what I called a lead jockey. He bought new leads EVERY WEEK. Holy ****! That was a crazy concept to me back then. I bought a 1500 piece mailer once per month.
He called to set appointments. What? I snuck up on them and door knocked them.
But as I got to know Travis more I realized that he was right. If you keep yourself in enough new leads you don't need to screw with the old leads. Those maybe's will send another card in the next time around.
If you look around EVERYONE who is real successful at FE is doing it Travis's way now. No one is following my old way of doing things (unless they have limited prospects like funeral home agents).
Buying new leads every week and working the new leads is the key to success in FE. The data is in. Just follow the path that is laid out before you and don't re-invent the wheel.

Back