Can a Property Underwriter do their Job without being able to Open Weblinks?

marindependent

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a not so theoretical question for you P&C agents out there: How can you communicate back and forth with an underwriter if they are unable to open up weblinks that they require, either for underwriting, discounts, yet they require more information?

I have a not so theoretical question for you P&C agents out there: How can you communicate back and forth with an underwriter if they are unable to open up weblinks that they require, either for underwriting, discounts, yet they require more information?

I'm not sure I understand the question. You mean if they can't access google maps, mvr's, things like that?

I'm not sure I understand the question
I dont blame you - I barely understand the situation either. If an underwriter needs more information and you send them a link to a website in an email - but their system will not allow them to click and see that website.

Allow us to take your example of a google map location. You send them a google map link - but they are not able to open it, because their system does not allow them to click on weblinks.

I can imagine how it could happen, but I've never had it happen, that I know of. But I could imagine that in a big company, employees are blocked from viewing lots of different websites in an effort to prevent company wide goofing off and time wasting.

Yes but for an underwriter? Thats like telling an insurance agent she can not use the phone!

Sometimes the less tech savvy UWs don't realize the tiny button at the top of Chrome is a pop up blocker that is keeping it from being opened.

Also could be the company security permissions blocking it, but I doubt it because they can freely go anywhere they want when they discover info on various websites that support their UW decision on an account. They will scour Facebook, state licensing sites, corporate filings, Google Earth, Zillow, county property records when they are building their case of why they won't write or are cancelling a risk.

Maybe they can't click on the link in Outlook, but maybe they can copy & paste into Chrome or whatever their company is using.

Lastly, could be Internet Explorer is their default, but the weblink doesn't support IE.

Dealing with this a fair amount lately as tech has changed so fast that some of it is causing disruption by producers & internal employees that have less skills to navigate. Seems like alot of tech being delivered is designed with the programmers in mind, not the user

Good luck

I've actually seen this go the other way. The underwriter will go online to view on google maps, and see something going on with the building from 4 years ago, which no longer exists. Or go to the wrong website - to someone with a similar name. Or, decline my quote because of something they misinterpreted from the clients website. I have seen all of these things happen more than once.

Back