Can Ex-Felons Qualify for Life Insurance

What most people don't understand is the questions on the insurance applications are very important. Any time questions are asked on a life insurance application, the company reserves the right to investigate your response. Depending on what is discovered the life insurance company can accept, deny coverage or increase the premium which was originally quoted by the agent. Most life insurance companies will ask questions concerning a criminal history. Therefore there is always a chance that the application can be denied or rated. However there are some companies which do not have this question on the application. Under these circumstances applicants have a much greater chance of getting coverage. I highly recommend when shopping for insurance ask the agent if this question is on the application and how far back does the company want them to go.

And if the applicant lies or conceals anything material to the underwriting of the policy and death occurs within the first two years after the policy is issued, the company may deny the claim, rescind the policy and refund the premiums paid to date.

That's the Contestibility Clause and life, health and disability policies have it

If they are going into jail or currently in jail, then I would recommend a GI policy (if aged qualified). Or even a AD+D policy.

Best to have a family member outside the bars paying for the thing automatically each month too!

Generally speaking it's going to depend on the time that lapsed since the crime occurred. Since most crimes are drug related, are they in any sort of treatment for that addiction?

It's difficult, but not impossible to find a policy for someone.

I pulled the company names out, but this is my notes on different companies acceptance of felony candidates:

TERM - No conviction in last 5 years or currently on parole (6 months after parole ends) - OK
TERM - No conviction in last 10 years or awaiting trial for a felony (Must have been released from jail for 10 years)
Term - No conviction in last 10 years or currently on parole for a felony conviction - OK immediately after parole ends.
TERM - Multiple felonies - Decline. Within last 5 years - conviction, probation, parole - across all products - Decline.
TERM - Within last 10 years been convicted or plead guilty to felony - Decline
On Parole, incarcerated, or serving probation within last 12 months have you served probation? - Decline
If on probation/parole, incarcerated, or criminal charges pending - Decline
If no jail time served, individual consideration after 1-year probation.
Term - Decline
WHOLE LIFE - OK as long as not currently in Jail

Last edited by a moderator:
Speak to Underwriters before submitting any applications so you don't run the risk of a decline. Depending on the conviction many will take the application at an increased premium for a period of time and then reduce the premium.

I'm looking for an insurance company that Will accept a felon off parole and probation summer of 2019

Have a conversation with a real Independent Life Insurance Agent. Not a radio, TV, internet insurance agent. Not just someone with a license. But a real agent.

Can you get life insurance. Absolutely. 100%.

Edit: my point is there is more to life insurance than just getting a policy. Find an agent that will be your and your family's agent for years to come.

Last edited:
Back