Can I Be a Health Insurance Broker W/ a Felony?

LeeK

I recently left a captive life insurance company and got a job offer with a health insurance broker. My question/issue is I’m not sure I’ll pass background or credit checks. The company mentions some of their carriers do a credit check while others have various requirements for background screenings. So I’m asking you professionals for some insight here.

The company I got the offer from knows my situation. I disclosed this on the application and after getting the job offer. But, they weren’t 100% certain either. The lady basically said, she thinks it might be okay because they weren’t honesty issues or violent crimes.

As for my background: I have a misdemeanor DUI (alcohol) from 2012 and a marijuana DUI from 2015. I had a medical card at the time but was charged with a felony DUI. I took the plea deal to a lesser felony of reckless endangerment with a misdemeanor drug DUI for that. Since then, I’ve gone sober. I don’t even drink anymore. I can pass a drug test and they require a drug screening. So I can show them that. I’ve also obtained my state of AZ life and health license as well as getting a number from my former captive life insurance agent since my conviction. So I passed their screenings.

My credit used to be decent in the low 700s, until I was convicted. Since then, it’s dropped significantly due to my inability to earn enough to cover my expenses I used to be able to pay prior to my last conviction.

I’m also appealing my conviction since I was actually sober at the time of arrest and the only thing the state had and needed at the time was my blood. I’m not sure if that matters, but I thought It might be worth mentioning.

Thanks in advance.

That might be the least of your worries! I'm concerned becoming a health insurance broker might lead you to start drinking again!

Have you read the health insurance forum on here lately?

If your goal is to work on solving your problems by making money selling health insurance, check out how many carriers are reducing or eliminating paying commissions.

Felonies are tough. The credit thing is less of an issue, but bankruptcies can be deal breakers.

Good news is this is a great country with work for people who are willing to do it!

Depending on your state, you should be ok. Of course they will scrutinize you and you might even have to go before the board in your home state. I've heard of much worse getting licensed...keep your head up.

Did you call your state lic. agency? Might as well,....get it over with.

*as long as you didn't rob a bank or commit a financial crime, i think you'll be ok. Making $ doing health, is another question.

You shouldn't have any problems that cannot be overcome. You will most likely be asked to provide more in-depth information on your arrests. The state board may or may not ask you to appear before them. Good luck!

Back