Can I Please Get Some Additional Feedback?

Moondoggy

Could I please get your opinion on something?

A few weeks ago posted a question concerning my UL life insurance polices being in trouble because the insurance costs were now to the point where they're going to start eating up my cash value and will terminate long before the maturity date. After that post I got a lot of excellent advice about what to do that has guided me up to a point and I appreciate all of the advice I've been given. However, in addition to this posting, I also posted the same question on another insurance forum and received a slightly different but very adamant bit of advice from one individual on this other forum. Just because he was adamant doesn't mean his advice is the best advice and I wanted to come back to this forum to get some additional input.

After getting advice from members of this forum, my view ia that I only have two options (1) take the cash value out of my $60K Country Financial policy as a 1035 and add that money to my $100K Thrivent Financial policy in the hope that Thrivent doesn't drastically increase their costs or (2) take a different option and convert both policies to paid up whole life policies. If I take option 1, my death benefit would decrease from $160K to $100K but if I take option 2 my death benefit would drop to somewhere near $75K.

Where fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) comes into play on option 1 is the potential for Thrivent's cost of insurance to rise significantly. In every in force illustration I received from Thrivent as long as their cost remain at what they've referred to as their "illustrated costs" the policy will survive and in some cases actually thrive. However, in all of their other in force illustrations where their costs increase to a midpoint between their illustrated costs and the maximum costs they can charge, every scenario they've given me fails. The position I was somewhat thinking was that it would be highly unlikely that Thrivent, being a very conservative company with a conservative client base, would not significantly increase their costs to ever come close to the midpoint numbers in their in force illustrations.

When I posed the same question on the other forum one individual on that forum suggested that I really didn't have 2 option, I really only have option 2 and that I should convert both policies to paid up whole life policies immediately. This individual said that Thrivent is just another insurance company trying to survive and since the economy has been so bad, they will do whatever they feel they need to do and that Thrivent will eventually increase their costs to the midpoint and perhaps beyond the midpoint.

So, this is where the big insurance gamble is today. If I take option 1 and their costs do increase, I'm screwed as I'll be back to the same point I am today but will no longer be able to convert my Country Life policy to paid up whole life policy and Thrivent says that I can't include any of that 1035 money brought in from Country in any paid up whole life policy I might be able to take with them later. On the other hand if I take option 2 and take a paid up policy from Country and Thrivent and the cost of insurance stays the same or only slightly increases I'll be throwing away about $25K in death benefit.

So I'm still seeking an opinion as to what is the correct course to take. Is this other individual from the other forum correct that it's silly of me to believe that Thrivent's costs aren't going to significantly rise to the midpoint and beyond or is this opinion just the safest way to insure that I'll have something there when I need it. Thoughts?

Either you need the full $100k or you are fine with the $75k. If you are ok with $75k then take the WL. If not, do your first option and just be ready to up premiums a bit in the future if necessary.

You are paying an extremely small premium for your current coverage no matter which way you go about it. Even if you up your UL premiums to $150/q, that is nothing compared to what most people your age pay for that level of coverage!

Choose an option and move on with your life... it is only a $25k difference... either you think you need the extra $25k or you dont. Answer that and you will have which option to choose.

Hey Moondoggy, you may want to break your dilemma down to simple terms, make a call, and accept the result. There are various combinations available to you. Is your attained age such that you can afford to risk less coverage? The larger concern seems be weighing the potential loss of $25,000 in coverage versus paying increased premium to keep present of levels of coverage in force.
The age issue is a call set in stone; we all age, and it is the variable you have no control over.
If you want to offset loss of coverage, you can cash in for present CV and look into obtaining a combination of permanent coverage with a convertible term rider (ex: $60k WL with $100k convertible term rider). Lower cost, maintains coverage. However, cost of conversion will increase total cost in the future, but not $60-75k. Additionally, your coverage needs usually (dependent on age) decrease later in life, resulting in less coverage and less income spent.
As a last point, it seems that you have a type of brand loyal to Country and Thrivent. As an independent agent, I encourage you to shop around for other options, as there are probably more competitive rates out there. When you speak with an insurance professional, our recommendations are not final and binding, only for your consideration after we give our honest and professional opinion. If exchange is recommended, ask him or her what will the net cost of the exchange be for you; why is it the best action to take; what features will a new policy offer; and, most importantly, what value will it give you versus the cost of the coverage. Hope this helps in someway! Good luck! would love to hear how it turns out!

As a last point, it seems that you have a type of brand loyal to Country and Thrivent. As an independent agent, I encourage you to shop around for other options, as there are probably more competitive rates out there. When you speak with an insurance professional, our recommendations are not final and binding, only for your consideration after we give our honest and professional opinion. If exchange is recommended, ask him or her what will the net cost of the exchange be for you; why is it the best action to take; what features will a new policy offer; and, most importantly, what value will it give you versus the cost of the coverage. Hope this helps in someway! Good luck! would love to hear how it turns out!

My overriding concern is the fact that when I had a bout of pericarditis 3 years ago it caused me to have several AFIB events and since the doctors are not sure I'll have another AFIB event they're treating me with drugs to prevent a reoccurrence. I also have sleep apnea that increases my chances for having a reoccurrence of AFIB. As I understand it AFIB and sleep apnea are two causes for underwriters to deny a new policy or rate it so high that it would not be worth it. Both of the solutions I've previously noted have no underwriting involvement that's why I only focused on my two existing providers.

Either you need the full $100k or you are fine with the $75k. If you are ok with $75k then take the WL. If not, do your first option and just be ready to up premiums a bit in the future if necessary.

You are paying an extremely small premium for your current coverage no matter which way you go about it. Even if you up your UL premiums to $150/q, that is nothing compared to what most people your age pay for that level of coverage!

Choose an option and move on with your life... it is only a $25k difference... either you think you need the extra $25k or you dont. Answer that and you will have which option to choose.

This ^^^I agree completely.
I think you don't really realize how little you are actually paying for what you have. Price out even a $100k term policy at your age (at a good health rating), and you'll see where you are.

I can certainly see your dilemma. When I’ve been in similar situations, I have followed these simple principles:

1. Sell UL products based only on guarantees. This way you don’t have to worry about potential increases in cost or decreases in interest rates.

2. One of the best ways to evaluate one company’s product is to compare to others. Get five other options and see how they stack.

3. Give any particular case only the amount of time it deserves. Otherwise, you will either cheat yourself or cheat the client, or both.

Amendment: I reread your post and noticed you were talking about your own coverage. Same advice applies.

Last edited:
I can certainly see your dilemma. When I’ve been in similar situations, I have followed these simple principles:

1. Sell UL products based only on guarantees. This way you don’t have to worry about potential increases in cost or decreases in interest rates.

2. One of the best ways to evaluate one company’s product is to compare to others. Get five other options and see how they stack.

3. Give any particular case only the amount of time it deserves. Otherwise, you will either cheat yourself or cheat the client, or both.

While those are certainly good principles to go by for those who sell insurance, do they really answer the OP's questions?

It sounds like you didn't even read the OP.

My overriding concern is the fact that when I had a bout of pericarditis 3 years ago it caused me to have several AFIB events and since the doctors are not sure I'll have another AFIB event they're treating me with drugs to prevent a reoccurrence. I also have sleep apnea that increases my chances for having a reoccurrence of AFIB. As I understand it AFIB and sleep apnea are two causes for underwriters to deny a new policy or rate it so high that it would not be worth it. Both of the solutions I've previously noted have no underwriting involvement that's why I only focused on my two existing providers.

Sometimes when I get stuck trying to solve a problem, I try to take a step back and make sure I am on the right track. All too often I find myself forgetting some basic business or sales principle. At this stage of my career, I have thankfully become a little better at it. But it is tough, Moondoggy, and it takes a lot of attempts to get it right. You are doing the right thing by soliciting the opinions of your colleagues to come up with a formula that works for you.

I have tried to encourage you to take a step back, but Sman and Cash are alerting me that it’s not doing too much good (thank you for the feedback, guys).
If it’s okay, let me make another attempt to put in my two cents. If it helps, great! If not, tell me what else you need and I’ll try to address it.

The new medical info you present makes a difference. AFIB and sleep apnea could be insurable conditions. Depending on test results and the degree of control, the rate might be reasonable. Then again, I have seen people declined because of poor control.

If you get prequalified for coverage with other carriers who might aggressively underwrite these conditions, you would have a variety of options to compare with your current policies. That could help you determine which carrier would have the most competitive product for you.

I appreciate the potential advantages of products that are simplified or guaranteed issue, but you really won’t be able to confirm they will be more cost-effective than underwritten products, until you make a comparison.

With regards to the question of whether or not Thrivent’s costs will increase: I think it is imprudent to make such a bet. Carriers can and will increase costs due to a variety of reasons. If controlling your own cost is an overriding priority, I think you need to focus exclusively on guarantees. This way you will have accurate numbers and can do some accurate budgeting.

One final point: 1963 has some solid thinking here. Does it help you?

Back