Can I really sell Health Insurance in my bunny slippers?

jtr0618

I have a couple questions for the group. I am a new at Individual Health Insurance sales. In doing my research I have come across these ideals. What does the group think about them?

1. Cold calling from the phone book is just as effective as buying leads?
2. Selling IHI by web conferencing is easy?
3. Customer service from the company tend to be BAD

One last question what other products are you selling to those you do sign up for IHI?

Thanks
James Rice

1. No
2. Can be.
3. Assuming you are speaking of carriers, the answer is no. They do not have bad customer service. They have no customer service.

1. No
2. No - May not be with experience
3. Yes
Addendum:
4. Not even broker support from the carriers is trustworthy.

1. Cold calling from the phone book is just as effective as buying leads?
2. Selling IHI by web conferencing is easy?
3. Customer service from the company tend to be BAD

1. NO. That will last a week.
2. Maybe you still need to sell and get someones attention.
3. Bad yes - workable at some level, of course. This is a non issue - work on number 1 & 2 first or #3 is irrelevant.

1. No
2. Depends on experience, shouldn't really be an issue, with good leads and prospecting methods, there are many ways to get policies written. Flexibility is extremely important.
3. CS is generally bad, but don't underestimate them. The companies are large, but the uw offices can be small and scattered. Piss off some of the people and they will mess your S--- up.

You never know what issues can arise concerning underwriting, licensing, commissions, etc. Mess with them, and they're messing with you. Never had a bad experience, but I came real close once, appealing a case over an underwriters head. Didn't really have a choice, the client was insisting and was in the right. The messenger(me) almost got hf.

I would suggest getting rid of the bunny slippers before doing anything else. Of course, if you insist on wearing the bunny slippers you will no doubt receive a PM from Senior- Advisor-Indiana. He will express an interest in you.;)

Last edited:
Customer service will depend on the experience of the CSR who gets your call. Just today I had to insist on a superviser to get an answer to a simple question on product. They transfer you to the wrong department or lose the connection. This goes on in every industry.

Never had a bad experience, but I came real close once, appealing a case over an underwriters head.

That is not a game for amateurs.

You need to know what you are doing, pick your battles, and go in prepared. Otherwise you will go down in flames.

I have a very high success rate on appeals.

But I pick my battles and know how underwriters think.

Customer service is non-existent with any carrier. Doesn't matter who you talk to. Carriers really don't care about your problems and have no incentive to keep a client happy.

A happy client is one who never files a claim.

An unhappy client is one who is a loss figure to a carrier. There incentive is to ignore the client until they go away.

If you think otherwise, you are fooling yourself and your client.

Back