Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?

Bod

Expert
That way I'd be better educated and not have the CE requirement "hanging over my head"...is there anything wrong with this?

I notice the available courses on Sircon have a renewal date. If a course's listed renewal date is BEFORE my license renewal date, does that mean the course would not qualify towards my continuing education?

I don't know what state you're in, but if you have a license #, you should be able to complete regulatory CE.

BTW, I wouldn't expect to actually 'learn' much from CE. But you can at least get familiar with long term care, annuities, and ethics. I know you have to complete an approved CE course before you can sell LTC and annuities. If you can, just get it done.

Plenty of online CE available. Most of the forum prefers WebCE. I use Kruise.com, but it's all pretty much the same.

If you actually wanting to learn something, I recommend you get a certification in your field. Otherwise I'm sure you can complete your CE once you have your license #. I have no idea what the renewal date on the Sircon site is, perhaps when the material has to be renewed with the state?

I have used Webce as well as other providers. Very rare to learn something, maybe a nugget here or there as I try to take courses that interest me.

I used to actually like the instructor led classes. You could ask questions right there from experienced agents.

There IS quality CE to be had online. A good example is the Florida School of Insurance at Florida Insurance School | Continuing Education for Insurance Professionals. I know the proprietor and the guy who founded the school. They use webinar instructors like Jerry Hargrove, Chris Amrhein, Jerry Rhinehart, and other first-rate, knowledgeable instructors. The typical 3-hour webinar costs about $48. They're based in Florida, but the contract with some agent associations in other states to provide the content while the state association administers the CE.

If you actually wanting to learn something, I recommend you get a certification in your field.....

I have used Webce as well as other providers. Very rare to learn something, maybe a nugget here or there as I try to take courses that interest me.

I agree. There's no CE course out there that will teach you anything more than a nugget here and there.

I don't see how many of these CE schools stay in business now that many agents (especially indy P&C agents with direct appts.) can fulfill their CE requirements for free.

How does any business compete against free?

wasn't worthless for me. about the same as any other CE course. and it didn't take time away from production either. if anything it saved time because I was able to complete the required 24 hours (actually 25. I earned one more hour than I needed) in about 3 1/2 hours.

by "free" I meant that I didn't pay a dime. carrier paid for it. carrier offers two free classes. I just happened to pick the two with the most credit hours.... A ten hour ethics course and a fifteen hour other P&C course.... Done!

so yeah, you're right. it wasn't a hard decision.

Last edited:
Can getting a designation count as Continuing Education in most cases/states? At least then I'd learn something, right?

Back