Can I Start on Continuing Education Classes Shortly After Getting my License?

I just got a notice from the state last week, showing my CE credits that carried over from last bi-annum. We have to do 16 in VA, I had 15 carry over (most came from a company provided training I took last fall). So I have to muster up 1 more hr this period. :)

I usually get some credits from attending things that I am interested in and choose to attend, but more often I just take the CE via WebCE. Its less expensive and time consuming. I would not attend free classes or trainings just to get the CE (to save from purchasing). I think I paid $39 for 24hrs with WebCE, iirc.

I would not attend free classes or trainings just to get the CE (to save from purchasing). I think I paid $39 for 24hrs with WebCE, iirc.

I think many of you misunderstood what I meant by "free".... the classes were free for me, but the carrier paid for it..... many carriers offer that now.

I've taken WebCE classes before and was happy with them too.... but as far as the level of difficulty, it's about a wash compared to WebCE.

I think many of you misunderstood what I meant by "free".... the classes were free for me, but the carrier paid for it..... many carriers offer that now.

I've taken WebCE classes before and was happy with them too.... but as far as the level of difficulty, it's about a wash compared to WebCE.

Yeah BlockO. I've done some of those, like I mentioned... if they are something I'm interested in learning and convenient enough for me.

I know a guy who drives all over creation many times a year to take "free" CE classes, and many times the classes are on things he doesn't even offer or ever plan to.... just so he can amass his CE hours. I told him last time he invited me, he should just use WebCE (or similar) and be done. I got 3 hours last year from attending a seminar that my local NAIFA group put on. It was good info (local) and free to me.

I didn't become an agent until 2010... but I remember my dad going through those pre-internet CE days.... He hated it!

Had to drive out of town and stay in a hotel a couple days. He didn't mind the travel as bad as he did being away from doing business.

As far as myself, my wife's health (had a major stroke) prevents me from traveling like that. I work out of a home office and wouldn't be able to travel for CE classes even if I wanted to.... But I prefer taking CE classes at night in my home while wearing pajamas and passively watching sports in the meantime.

And as long as carriers continue to offer free online CE courses, I'll be taking advantage.

----------

We have to do 16 in VA.

I'm jealous! Although I'm licensed in VA too, my resident state is Ohio, which requires 24 hours (3 of which need to be an ethics course). That's why I was tickled to find that my carrier offered a 10 hour ethics course and a 15 hour homeowners course both for free.

Back