Can I Still Get my Insurance License and Be Appointed with a Carrier with a DUI

JJJJC

Hello All,

I have perused the forums with no true answer but to call the DOI. I would like to call the DOI, but I would also like to hear from everyone who is experienced in the insurance industry on here as well.

Earlier this year, late at night, I fell asleep at the wheel and grazed a parked car. The other party came out of a bar and was furious. They called the police, and I was charged with a misdemeanor DUI. Needless to say, it was unfortunate, unnecessary, but it is what it is. I am currently in the process of paying the fines and taking classes and whatnot.

I had been working as a CSR for an insurance agency for a year already and was in the process of getting my P&C insurance license. I would like to know if this DUI will prevent me from getting my license, and prevent me from being appointed to a carrier. This is for the state of CA.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

https://www.insurance.ca.gov/0200-industry/0080-make-changes/upload/BackgroundReviewRegulations.pdf

For purposes of denial, suspension, revocation, and/or restriction of a license or license application, statutes within the Insurance Code list specific grounds and also allow for action based upon findings that include, but are not limited to, the licensee or applicant lacking integrity, having a poor business reputation, or that permitting the licensee or applicant to hold an insurance license is against the public interest. The following is a partial list of crimes or acts that are substantially related to the qualifications, functions or duties of an insurance licensee:
(a) Any felony conviction;
(b) A misdemeanor conviction which evidences present or potential unfitness to perform the functions authorized by the license in the manner consistent with the public health, safety, and welfare, including but not limited to, soliciting, attempting, or committing crimes involving the following:
(1) Dishonesty or fraud;
(2) Any conviction arising out of acts performed in the business of insurance or any other licensed business or profession;
(3) Theft;
(4) Sexually related conduct affecting a person who is an observer or non-consenting participant in the conduct or convictions, or which requires registration pursuant to the provisions of Section 290 of the Penal Code;
(5) Resisting, delaying, or obstructing a public officer in violation of Penal Code Section 148;
(6) Any act or offense wherein the person willfully causes injury to the person or property of another;
(7) Violation of a relation of trust or confidence, or a breach of fiduciary duty;
(8) Multiple convictions which demonstrate a pattern of repeated and willful disregard for the law.

(c) Any act which demonstrates a willful attempt to derive a personal financial benefit through the nonpayment or underpayment of taxes, assessments, or levies duly imposed upon the licensee or applicant by federal, state or local government or a willful failure to comply with a court order.

My GUESS is that, if this was a one-time occurrence, you shouldn't have a problem. If you had a history of DUI and/or driver license suspension, you'd probably have a problem getting a state insurance license.

I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. It is the only questionable thing on my record. I do not have any other history besides that single blemish on my life. It was and will be a one time thing. Will the DOI be okay with that?

Thank you

I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. It is the only questionable thing on my record. I do not have any other history besides that single blemish on my life. It was and will be a one time thing. Will the DOI be okay with that?

Thank you

I believe you can get a license but you can check with the DOI. But don't kid yourself you got behind the wheel after drinking not a wrong place wrong time thing more a wrong choice thing.

I believe you can get a license but you can check with the DOI. But don't kid yourself you got behind the wheel after drinking not a wrong place wrong time thing more a wrong choice thing.

My BAC was below 0.08 and they still decided to take me in for a DUI. So it seemed like it was a wrong place at the wrong time situation to me. Did you even read the initial thread? Besides calling the DOI you believe I can still get a license? Should I even bother explaining the situation to the DOI?

Thank you

Last edited:
My BAC was below 0.08 and they still decided to take me in for a DUI. So it seemed like it was a wrong place at the wrong time situation to me. Did you even read the initial thread? Besides calling the DOI you believe I can still get a license? Should I even bother explaining the situation to the DOI?

Thank you

I did.. I took it that you fell asleep while driving in the parking lot of a bar and hit another vehicle. I take the above statement to say that by the time the police eventually got your BAC it was under the legal limit. This means you might have made an error in judgement and would not be a crime involving your ethics which would be a bigger issue.

I wish you the best in your future endeavors.. The ultimate answer to your question is with DOI of your state the best we can do is review the law and tell you about similar issues.

Two things...

1. Usually first time infractions unless fiduciary will not hinder you, especially misdemeanor.

2. Work on the denial, and own it. Many have been where you are and were and by the Grace of God did not get caught, or kill someone... maybe grazed a walking pedestrian instead of a car, to which you would likely be in prison. Not judging here, just keeping it real, because you are fortunate to still be employed.

Lesson 1: Get a better lawyer next time. BAC was below the limit and you still got a DUI?
Lesson 2: Yes, avoid the situation next time. Uber / Lyft ends up being a lot cheaper.

To answer your question though, not likely to be an issue at all. Go get your license. Nobody here can guarantee anything, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Dan

I wanted to update everyone on what happened so that it may help other people in the future who have been or will be in a similar situation. This is for the state of California.

I went in for my P&C exam and passed with flying colors. I went online to submit my application and answered everything as truthfully as possible in regards to my misdemeanor DUI.

They also asked me to submit a written statement to explain my misdemeanor. I was not sure what to put on my statement, so I Googled "DUI written statements" to get some kind of idea. I was reading statements that have been written online that had to do with getting your nursing license, and I followed those for reference. Needs to be well written, and include in detail the entire situation regarding the DUI and what kind of steps you have taken to better yourself/to make sure it never happens again. Make sure to sound remorseful.

I waited for about a month with no notice yet. I called the Department of Insurance to ask about my application and if it has been processed or denied. They said that it was in the middle of being processed. I asked if a DUI would greatly affect my chances of being licensed as well as being appointed with an insurance company, they said NO. If it is something small, will never happen again, nothing else on the record, you will be fine.

Voila, next day I received an email with my official license number. Two weeks later, I received an official document to sign regarding my appointment with the insurance company.

I explained everything as truthfully as possible on my application and on my appointment. I wrote my statement beautifully, explained everything as much as I could on both my appointment application and insurance license application. There were some questions with words I did not understand, but I called my lawyer and he was able to answer the questions for me.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Hopefully this post can help others in the future who have made a similar mistake.

I wanted to update everyone on what happened so that it may help other people in the future who have been or will be in a similar situation. This is for the state of California.

I went in for my P&C exam and passed with flying colors. I went online to submit my application and answered everything as truthfully as possible in regards to my misdemeanor DUI.

They also asked me to submit a written statement to explain my misdemeanor. I was not sure what to put on my statement, so I Googled "DUI written statements" to get some kind of idea. I was reading statements that have been written online that had to do with getting your nursing license, and I followed those for reference. Needs to be well written, and include in detail the entire situation regarding the DUI and what kind of steps you have taken to better yourself/to make sure it never happens again. Make sure to sound remorseful.

I waited for about a month with no notice yet. I called the Department of Insurance to ask about my application and if it has been processed or denied. They said that it was in the middle of being processed. I asked if a DUI would greatly affect my chances of being licensed as well as being appointed with an insurance company, they said NO. If it is something small, will never happen again, nothing else on the record, you will be fine.

Voila, next day I received an email with my official license number. Two weeks later, I received an official document to sign regarding my appointment with the insurance company.

I explained everything as truthfully as possible on my application and on my appointment. I wrote my statement beautifully, explained everything as much as I could on both my appointment application and insurance license application. There were some questions with words I did not understand, but I called my lawyer and he was able to answer the questions for me.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Hopefully this post can help others in the future who have made a similar mistake.
Wish you the best of luck.. Would suggest that if you still drink you not get behind the wheel if you have even had so much as one drink or one beer. Much safer that way!

Back