Can I use my health insurance overseas?

askingman45

I’ll be travelling soon and I want to make sure that I have everything ready including my emergency plans. I have a health insurance that I pay religiously every month. I don’t know though if I can use this abroad. I’ll be visiting Thailand for leisure and probably meet some Thai ladies too. But before I could enjoy my trip, I still want to ensure that I can count on my insurance in case I get into an accident or get sick while in Thailand. Does anyone have any idea about this? Has anyone tried using their health insurance overseas?

A lot depends on the terms and conditions of your policy which is where you will find the answers to your questions if only you would read the policy as we can't read it from here. Whether you are covered or not for overseas medical treatment has nothing to do with paying religiously every month. It has everything to do with the coverage you pay for.

If I had to venture a guess I would guess that you would have to pay for any medical treatment you obtained overseas and then seek reimbursement from your insurance company to whatever extent your policy covers.

It's also possible that your policy pays little or nothing for medical treatment obtained "out of network."

Before you go, I suggest that you thoroughly and carefully read your policy and see what it says about medical expenses outside the US.

Just pick up a GeoBlue Voyager travel medical plan. They handle claims in the host country.at the time of service.

Domestic health plans may cover urgent/emergency care only. If they do, it is done by reimbursement after you submit the claim upon your return to the US, Which means you may have to "pay your way" out in cash/credit cards before they will release you to leave.

I’ll be travelling soon and I want to make sure that I have everything ready including my emergency plans. I have a health insurance that I pay religiously every month. I don’t know though if I can use this abroad. I’ll be visiting Thailand for leisure and probably meet some Thai ladies too. But before I could enjoy my trip, I still want to ensure that I can count on my insurance in case I get into an accident or get sick while in Thailand. Does anyone have any idea about this? Has anyone tried using their health insurance overseas?
Why not just call your insurance company and ask them? Before I got Medicare I had Blue Cross Blue Shield and they covered me when out of the country. They covered emergencies like having a heart attack or getting run over by an elephant, but I couldn't go to a Dr. overseas to get a prescription filled.

Most countries require payment before services are rendered. Whatever you go with, make sure they are able and willing to front payment to secure your treatment.

Most countries require payment before services are rendered. Whatever you go with, make sure they are able and willing to front payment to secure your treatment.

VolAgent is correct, if you are incurring medical expenses in Mexico the providers will either want some form of promise from your carrier, or will want you to pay and then you file for reimbursement.

Just like here in the US when Mexicans cross the border and obtain medical services. We don’t just give out free, taxpayer subsidized care to....oh, who am I kidding, I am laughing so much I can’t finish the sentence.

Latest posts

Back