Can It Be Done? Enrollment Question During ICEP

Just spoke to a 62 year old disabled person......A/B starts 3/1/2017. She claims social security office person got her to sign up for a $25/month Part D plan starting 3/1/2017. She never heard the term Medicare Advantage....and now is interested in switching to a nice $0 premium PPO-MAPD plan with better Rx coverage than the standalone Part D she signed up for.

I understand that during IEP, you can only make one choice and then you are stuck until AEP or SEP, but since the Part D plan has not yet become effective, am I now in the "last ap wins" situation if she applied for a MAPD plan prior to 3/1? I think yes, but looking for some confirmation. Not my forte.

BTW she is broke, and can not afford $271/month for a AARP plan N paying $0 commission.

Thanks

Just spoke to a 62 year old disabled person......A/B starts 3/1/2017. She claims social security office person got her to sign up for a $25/month Part D plan starting 3/1/2017. She never heard the term Medicare Advantage....and now is interested in switching to a nice $0 premium PPO-MAPD plan with better Rx coverage than the standalone Part D she signed up for.

I understand that during IEP, you can only make one choice and then you are stuck until AEP or SEP, but since the Part D plan has not yet become effective, am I now in the "last ap wins" situation if she applied for a MAPD plan prior to 3/1? I think yes, but looking for some confirmation. Not my forte.

BTW she is broke, and can not afford $271/month for a AARP plan N paying $0 commission.

Thanks

Submit the application, it will most likely be approved.

Thanks

During your IEP you don't only get one choice prior to signing up. Whatever you read you misunderstood. Once you sign up and start the plan your iep is gone. But not until it starts. They can change as much as they want up to that point

During your IEP you don't only get one choice prior to signing up. Whatever you read you misunderstood. Once you sign up and start the plan your iep is gone. But not until it starts. They can change as much as they want up to that point

thanks......that's what I understood if it had not gone into effect....and I was mainly looking for confirmation. Once 3/1 rolls around, she would have been stuck with her part D plan until AEP.

Back