Can my upline sue me?

Apr 23, 2019

1. KazeTBW

KazeTBW New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hey everyone,

I am currently leaving an MLM style life insurance agency and do have a debt that will roll to my upline and cant pay it at this time. Can i be sued by him or is my responsibility more towards the company?

Thanks.

KazeTBW, Apr 23, 2019
  2. BADTROUT

BADTROUT Guru

State:
    Colorado
    Please understand that I am not a lawyer, and will never pretend to be... but one thing I have learned in this business is that anyone CAN sue anyone for any reason. If you know its coming down the pike, I would simply contact your upline (at least the next level) and explain your situation. Most reasonable (and successful) organizations will work with you. If they don't, do what you have to do to work it out with the carrier etc etc (don't ignore it) but find a new upline.

BADTROUT, Apr 23, 2019
  3. Todd King

Todd King IMO/FMO Owner

State:
    Virginia
    Of course they can! And they should if you roll it to your upline! You got paid the money (a loan), and now you are trying to stick it to someone else?

Your responsibility is to the company until they roll it to your upline, then you are responsible to him. He'll have to take money out of his pocket to pay for it. Are you really comfortable with that?

4. VolAgent

VolAgent Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    Can he sue you? Yes, with some easy to clear hurdles.

Does he have standing to sue you? Sounds like it, you owe a debt and there is probably a contract to address it.

Will he sue you? That is the real question. If you leave on good terms and reach out to him like @BADTROUT suggested, probably not. There are only two reasons to sue in this situation, to compel performance, and to be spiteful and shut you down. As long as you don't give your upline one of these reasons, you'll probably be fine.

Of course, the upline could also be spiteful and sue just because he can.

VolAgent, Apr 23, 2019
  5. goillini52

goillini52 MAGA...Eat More Bacon & BUILD THAT WALL!!!

State:
    Illinois
    If you have a debt to a company, call the company you owe and work out a payment plan and avoid being sued or Vectored.:yes:

6. junkman

junkman Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    And carriers frequently ask sometime during the appointment process whether you have a debit balance with another carrier. This may prevent you from getting appointed. Ongoing commissions should offset the debit balance if you in fact wrote anything of significance. If you didn't, you may want to consider another line of work.

junkman, Apr 23, 2019
  7. goillini52

State:
    Illinois
    Not necessarily. If you're independent you might use a lot of companies and have niche companies that you rarely use, so if you have a chargeback you might not have new business to cover it. I've had that happen a couple of times over the years and had to write that company a check.

8. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    As many others have said on here, yes, anyone can sue anyone for anything, real or imagined.

As a matter of fact, I am considering suing Todd King because he made fun of my giant head in another thread. :cry:

9. goillini52

State:
    Illinois
    Would you sue me if I made fun of your tiny left hand? BTW, your hair reminds me of Rod Blagojevich...before he went to prison. :laugh:
    [​IMG]

10. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    Alright smartass, now I'm going to sue you too!:tongue: