Can One Collect from 2 Different Long Term Disability Policies from 2 Different Employers

finewen

I worked for a company that supplied my LT Disability policy. The Company was acquired. Before the changeover, I applied for a claim under the original company. I then went to work for the new company with a different long term policy. Can I apply for that one as well?

Yes however there is a big BUT...

Obviously you would need to qualify under both policies, meaning meet the definition of disabled and being covered, actively employed, enough hours, etc. Additionally you would need to see if there is any clause that coordinates benefits or otherwise limits coverage when there are multiple policies. The second is unlikely as it is common to have a separate, individual disability policy in addition to group coverage.

The big thing will be, how were you able to qualify for coverage from the first policy, go back to work and now qualify from both?

Thank you for the response. My husband has Parkinsons Disease, and loss of wages was given to him as a result. They have approved further income should he not be able to work on the first policy. The new company is aware of his disability, but has continued to employ him. He is now really considering leaving employment as it is becoming increasing difficult. Does this make sense?

If the new company was aware of his disability, then it would be considered a pre-existing condition and not eligible for claim with the new employer's policy.

If the new company was aware of his disability, then it would be considered a pre-existing condition and not eligible for claim with the new employer's policy.

Its a group policy, so hypothetically pre-x exclusions could not apply to that contract... or they might just have to satisfy a waiting period before any pre-x claims can be made. Obviously it all depends on what the contract says.

Its a group policy, so hypothetically pre-x exclusions could not apply to that contract... or they might just have to satisfy a waiting period before any pre-x claims can be made. Obviously it all depends on what the contract says.

That was pretty much my thoughts as well. I'm just surprised he was able to go back to work yet still collect from the first policy.

Since both policies are group plans they have coordination of benefits. They will not both pay but if they do, the benefit will not be more than the highest allowed by either plan. I wish you and you husband all the best on this long journey.

Back